Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

wiggan1989 OP t1_isyqw6q wrote

First of all, apologies for the cringe post, I know its extra, but I just want to express how glad I am finding this subreddit. Thought I'd take the plunge and go down the Headphone rabbit hole and glad I did. Before this I was just listening to my vinyl and was content with it until my girlfriend complained about the loud noise coming from my tower speakers, so I thought I'd invest in some headphones.

They are constantly whilst I work (work from home). And whilst at night too... Been a rough few months but with this set up I can just stick on a song/record and it just takes me away and not a thought in world.

Naiphe t1_isz8943 wrote

This isn't cringe its wholesome.

zaypuma t1_iszhudo wrote

For real. It makes me want to pose with my gear. But first, and upgrade... or two...

touzeboinetnicolas t1_iszbw7d wrote

What cable are you using with those (presumably) Sundaras?

wiggan1989 OP t1_iszcz10 wrote

They are Sundaras indeed. Just a cheap balanced cable from amazon:

OKCSC WT 4.4mm Male to Dual 3.5mm Male Headphone Cable for Sony NW-ZX300A/ZX505WM1Z/FiiO M11 Plus,4.4mm Balanced Upgrade Replacement Cable for Hifiman Sundara, Ananda, HE400SE, HE-400i Headphone 3.9FT https://amzn.eu/d/3KFZCUS

Qazax1337 t1_it05273 wrote

Any aftermarket cable is a huge upgrade over the stock one. That cable looks good to me :)

Extrapaj t1_it2tpr4 wrote

What's wrong with the stock cable? Never tried the Sundara's

Qazax1337 t1_it2u6xi wrote

The stock sundara cable (at least the one before they started shipping with a different one) held its shape like a coat hanger and broke less than 2 hours into being used carefully at my desk. It's become a bit of a meme with how shitty it was.

Sweenybeans t1_iug7l28 wrote

Hey just wondering I'm trying to start my setup. Got a turntable, Denon AVR and wondering do I need an amp with that?

StableSilent t1_isyvorx wrote

You found something that brings joy and you're sharing that with the world. As far as I'm concerned we need more of that. I too seem to always find a soft place to land in a good album regardless of the difficulties of any given day. Be well and enjoy the music!

rtm416 t1_isywhi3 wrote

Wholesome af, this is what the hobby is all about :)

Chok3U t1_isyxkvx wrote

This is what it's all about...

Time-End-5288 t1_isys63a wrote

Nice setup. I too, took the plunge from the speaker world recently, good thing I had a spare DAC or two with headphones amplifiers built in.

Still getting used to the differences between Speaker HiFi and Headphone HiFi, kind of shocked by how different some things are.

Which headphones did you take the plunge with?

wiggan1989 OP t1_isysmzx wrote

Thanks.

It took me around a week to adapt to Headphone Hifi. I actually prefer it to my speakers. I just feel lost in the music.

I originally had the Sennheiser HD 560s, great headphones, but wanted something with a bit more soundstage so bought the Hifiman Sundaras.

How about yourself?

Time-End-5288 t1_isytzqn wrote

I went with the monolith M570 open-back and Meze 99 Noir for closed-back. I think I'm good for a while.

wiggan1989 OP t1_isz3jsg wrote

Nice combo. I had a pair of D770s but treble was too harsh and had to return them.

spiraleyes78 t1_isz6qf1 wrote

I used my 770s for a decade and thought they were great. After using my Sundaras for a few weeks, the treble on the 770s makes my ears bleed ๐Ÿคฃ

Icy_Ad4813 t1_it22ac8 wrote

>monolith M570

The tuning seems nice on the M570, if not a little sibilant in the mid-treble. But for a silent listener they're fine.

Time-End-5288 t1_it2dycg wrote

Interesting. I donโ€™t find them sibilant at all.

Icy_Ad4813 t1_it2p801 wrote

I only looked at the graph, good to know graphs aren't everything. Depends also on treble sensitivity/preference.

Time-End-5288 t1_it2zibj wrote

I've found frequency response graphs to not be unreliable with headphones, just in my limited experience. I think they're much more reliable when it comes to Speakers and macro dynamics.

But everyone has different ear lobes (the shape of which affects sound waves), and different ears, and we all know how changing out the ear pads can make significant differences. So it is not only possible but likely that one pair of headphones would sound completely differently to two different people.

wongswk t1_iszufr7 wrote

Hell yes! I love to escape from life and dive into the grooves. I switch back and forth between my headphones and speakers pending what else im doing at the moment. My setup is similar, where my TT is next to my computer. Often ill use headphones (open back) for my computer, and speakers for my TT. The only time im using my headphones/IEM's for my TT is when i dont want to be doing anything else besides enjoying the playback. What's your latest vinyl purchase?

florinandrei t1_it0fgmz wrote

> I just feel lost in the music.

Good headphones tend to do that to you. :)

Enjoy your very nice listening corner!

ledsled447 t1_iszu2j9 wrote

Could you describe what's different in both

Time-End-5288 t1_iszymq2 wrote

Not exactly, but I think it's best described as Macro Dynamics (Speakers) vs. Micro Dynamics (headphones).

Imaging and soundstage with speakers are large and 3 dimensional (it can feel like the music is all around you), they're completely different with headphones like you are inside the music. Don't get me wrong, you get a sense of space and air, but it's different (not better or worse).

Not many people coming from a speaker system would consider headphones like the Meze 99 as particularly bassy, or warm (maybe warmish), and it would likely be described as a weighty mid-range. But those headphones are considered bass cannons by a lot of people here.

I hear less of a difference moving from headphone amp to headphone amp, but more of a difference when I use different DACs.

Some things scale up better, and some things scale down better. Margins and deltas are so much smaller with headphones.

I mean there's the same dogma, and fanboy-ism here as there is with speakers, and just as many people will tell you what they like or don't like about things they've never listed too... so all that's the same.

customds t1_isyyk48 wrote

Whatโ€™s the tube amp on top?

Do you eq at all?

What kind of music most frequented?

wiggan1989 OP t1_isyyu9t wrote

Nah its not a tube amp. It's spare cartridges in cases on top of my Pre-amp.

I used Oratory's eq on the Sundaras but I went back to stock as I prefer it.

Listen to Hip Hop, R & B and recently got into Jazz

customds t1_isz0de5 wrote

Ah my bad, looked like it at first.

How are those stock for hip hop? Iโ€™m considering a pair. Currently have he4xx and 560s.

Whatโ€™s your opinion the best mastered โ€œaudiophileโ€ hip hop track? Besides clean bass and some fun ambience, I struggle to find songs that really show off the same way rock song does.

Mr-Zero-Fucks t1_iszwnoo wrote

I'd take a listen to Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest.

Beautiful use of sampling and perfect mastering, but you need to have a very flat setup, the bass would saturate if boosted.

customds t1_iszy9n1 wrote

Yeah big fan of that album. The bass(classical string) sounds fantastic on Buggin out. Textured almost.

Iโ€™m looking for obscure picks, already have a rotation of the usual suspects.

wiggan1989 OP t1_isz0r75 wrote

It's not too bad as the stack have a bass boost button and this helps a lot with it not being too much.

meaculpa303 t1_iszfr4c wrote

Very nice setup, man. I truly hope things get better for you. I went through a rough patch all of 2021, so I understand. I wish the best for you, my dude. Keep your head up!

TOTALLYnattyAF t1_iszhoa0 wrote

I totally feel that. Sometimes everyone goes to bed and I can just sit and listen for an hour and it makes all the stress and hard work worth it.

Holiday-Shape t1_isz22st wrote

Love it! Glad you can have a place to just sit back and relax :)

wiggan1989 OP t1_isz3oqe wrote

Yes, can easily spend all night just listening to music

peanut_butter_lover4 t1_isz4bsg wrote

Nice pic, glad you're enjoying your headphones!

I hope to one day have a proper place for some good speakers haha

Dreynz t1_isz8x9j wrote

Ooooooo love the setup! Whats the spray bottle? Vinyl juice?

Megidolan t1_isz9kc1 wrote

I feel your words, man. During the pandemic just sitting in front of my PC and doing nothing but enjoying some music was a lifesaver for my peace of mind, and that is because I'm most of the time pretty chill, I can't even imagine for people that have a lot going on on their lives or are just overall more prone to being anxious.

There was even a moment, a few months that I wasn't listening to music (in a dedicated way) due to time and talking to a friend I realized I was getting a bit sad. It's incredible how just some music you enjoy every now and then can have a great effect on us.

lostintexas86 t1_iszdvhg wrote

Itโ€™s all good man, love to see it. I got to a good place with my Hifiman Edition X v2 and every song Iโ€™ve played through it I feel like Iโ€™ve heard something new.

lestrenched t1_iszhi53 wrote

ID on that receiver and the vinyl player?

Who are some of your favourite artists?

wiggan1989 OP t1_iszhyve wrote

The AVR is Denon X2700H and the Turntable is a Project X-1

Favourite artists in no order

Kendrick Lamar Freddie Gibbs JID 2pac Frank Ocean SZA Aaliyah J. Cole MF Doom Lupe Fiasco

OyVeyzMeir t1_it18ytj wrote

Story time on the turntable setup! two tonearms and a record brush? three tonearms? what are you using for cartridges?

StumpyFSR t1_isznx10 wrote

I'm going in the opposite direction. Was into headphones now working only stereo setup. I was eyeing the Project Debut Carbon Evo It looks like yours has a few upgrades.

wiggan1989 OP t1_iszo7pu wrote

I do love my speakers, but can't really use them when working as it'll disturb my neighbours ๐Ÿ™„... I have the Project X1 that I bought used for ยฃ400 off ebay. The Debut Carbon is a brilliant turntable, definitely recommend

StumpyFSR t1_iszox4x wrote

That's where headphones shine! I am about to order some acoustic treatment for my room. The bass travels all through my house and my wife isn't a fan hahaha.

DrEngineer1979 t1_iszpisf wrote

You brought a smile to mine as well. Enjoy your peace!

Nosoup4udrake t1_iszyif1 wrote

I love this post! My listening station gives me so much happiness. Good on ya!

do0fusz t1_it02h5e wrote

the only thing missing is the title of the record which would put such a smile on your face.

EvilKermit t1_it03xqt wrote

Most wholesome my man. Looks like a great set-up.

But what are you listening to?

Zeace t1_it0gp8m wrote

I loved my sundaras while I had them. I upgraded to the stealth model Arya earlier this year.

neon_overload t1_it0o1qr wrote

I hope the tough times improve man

Odd-Panda-472 t1_it0vdiq wrote

Bro very sweet set up for sure but all you need for that is a mirror my man

septienes t1_it157pg wrote

My man has the setup and the drip with fleece

Icy_Ad4813 t1_it22v9q wrote

It's annoying for me the fact that I'm wearing glasses, knowing my sound is always worse on headphones because of that. Especially in closed-back. That's why I prefer IEM's and for the future when I'll move to the country I'll also get into speakers. Nice setup btw :)

Magmakensuke t1_it23rqd wrote

Great setup and do what brings you a smile, we need more of that, man!

Smoker1965 t1_it247jl wrote

All of us get so caught up in the sound of this and the sound of that, we forget just a chair, a decent pair of headphones, and some good tunes can make a crappy day better and a good day great.

Thanks for the reminder. I forget that sometimes in this hobby.

skyy0731 t1_it2bksr wrote

Dang man you look good

EuphoricMomento t1_it2qlvm wrote

Great picture! I just wanted to point out that your sweater looks really cosy, perfect for listening sessions on a chilly day :)

InFortunaWeLust t1_it3fcas wrote

nice setup, not cringe. hell i used to pass out in front of my parents speaker setup as a kid listening to music. your setup is something alot of people can relate with.

SinfulPanda t1_it3fgi8 wrote

I at first read this quickly as "listening coroner" and was pleased to see a vibrant discussion of listening to beautiful sounds. Although my Halloween is in gear and I wondered what this could be, but no death to music today!

Enjoy!

ktka t1_it3zorv wrote

Your title sounds like it came from "Let it be."

LiveZumbi t1_it4ono6 wrote

Nice man, i wish you the best.

LTHardcase t1_it8wlio wrote

Seeing your pic puts into perspective why I cut my hair off recently. Granted my fro was literally 3 or 4 times longer than yours, but my headphones had stopped being able to smash my hair and the seal was no longer working. Audiophilia or beautiful Black hair, tough choice. Grabbed the razor lmao.

Nice setup.

wiggan1989 OP t1_it8y8fr wrote

Haha, it is annoying. I have to have it on the highest adjustment. I just loving my fro at the moment though

LTHardcase t1_ita5t1y wrote

Yeah if you go beyond the Sundara it gets complicated. I had the Sundara for years then upgraded to the Arya when I decided to go "endgame" last year. I was getting braided on the regular at the time so it was cool. It was this year when I stopped getting braids that having 10 inches of hair started interfering with my favorite hobby, music listening.

Truth be told the Vegeta look was a holdover from working from home for two years, prior I always kept a clean taper but I kinda let myself go when I stopped having to get suited up to go into the office. Easy sacrifice.

JuliusBelmont2000 t1_it93f3u wrote

What a nice post actually, there's no cringe to be found here!

DafuqBoom t1_iti8fln wrote

Not cringe at all. Just wondering what you listen to?

thatcarolguy t1_isyxymz wrote

Do you always use a left-handed turntable?

wiggan1989 OP t1_isyyhy7 wrote

Not sure if sarcasm (can't tell on reddit). The camera flips the image in selfie mode

thatcarolguy t1_iszomca wrote

So it's really an upside-down left handed turntable? That's impressive.

MM1ck t1_it1y2kg wrote

Hmmmm, not sure either if you are messing too.lol

But look at the lettering on the DAC it's mirrored, so not a left hand tone arm.

Boney-Rigatoni t1_isz86sw wrote

I donโ€™t think itโ€™s sarcasm. I havenโ€™t seen many phonographs, or rather record players. with the left-handed tone arms.

Umlautica t1_isz6dvp wrote

It's one of those fancy counter clockwise models.

MM1ck t1_it420yd wrote

You can't play vinyl counter clockwise. Unless you start with the stylus in the centre, playing your music backwards. Of course listening for messages from the devil when playing black Sabbath ๐Ÿ˜

Umlautica t1_it42d34 wrote

That might explain why my dinner party was so awkward last night.

ChrisFox-NJ t1_iszp3ki wrote

Yeah you definitely look happy! Nice photo, made me smile as well

Mr-Zero-Fucks t1_iszva5x wrote

there are not many places where you can post this pic and people would totally understand

alkyboy t1_iszwop2 wrote

Music is sometimes all we need brother โค๏ธ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽง

iFiAudio t1_it295g7 wrote

Loving the picture! What a great set-up you have if we must say so ourselves ๐Ÿ˜‰

wiggan1989 OP t1_it29ep0 wrote

Do love your products ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿฟ

iFiAudio t1_it2a1w7 wrote

Thank you! Feel free to share some more pictures to us, we would love to use this and them in our socials one day, if this would be ok?

HiFiMAN3878 t1_isz4ms5 wrote

The rabbit hole is deep with headphones and it's mostly manipulation in my opinion. I sold all of my headphones and got a decent speaker setup - so I went in the opposite direction that you did. Hope these bring you some joy! Don't get caught up in upgrade-itis where your spending all your money on marketing and jibberish going forward!!!

−2