Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AntOk463 t1_iu3ayq5 wrote

I think Dank Pods explained this the best. High quality audio has existed for decades, they aren't making huge innovations in sound quality anymore, they are making innovations to comfort and the listening experience. Modern headphones sound as good as old headphones, but probably have features that the previous ones didn't. I guess innovations have been made to try new things in the pursuit of better sound. I know the new Sennheiser IE 600 are 3D printed and are able to use a very interesting internal housing design which improved the sound, and that design is only possible because of 3D printing. Also look how far bluetooth headphones have come, I know for a fact modern Bluetooth headphones are better than Bluetooth headphones from 6 years ago.

Also I see this with phones as well, they have gotten so good that there is no additional point to improve. Around 2020 all smartphone had realy good cameras, from cheap phones to expensive phones, Android or Apple, every phone has an amazing camera, so now in smartphone ads it's features. Samsung talks about their 8K camera, their 100x zoom, Google talks about their unblur feature and object eraser, even Apple talks about their Adobe HDR and filmmaker modes. They all know saying we have a good camera isn't enough anymore. And in terms of hardware there has also been a limit reached. The last 3 years of Samsung and iphones have had no changes, the phones are basically the same as each other and there is no reason to upgrade to a new one. And this is someone know knows and cares a lot about this and all the small details involved. That's why people care so much about folding phones, it's something genuinely new and exciting.

6ixpool t1_iu3m11h wrote

Just to add, modern tuning for gear has also improved. Harman target headphones are much more enjoyable to listen to and sounds very "lifelike" despite the technical capabilities of the drivers being the same.

Nadeoki t1_iu6q5ul wrote

Right about most things.
Except the fact that Smartphones hardware changes. New Processors, New Optical Sensors in the Cameras, new SSD's (with higher capacities and faster speeds)
This is especially going to keep going as Qualcomm is about to step their toe in the Desktop market, essentially giving them potential increase in market share for Laptops.

Giving them opportunity to invest more in making efficient processors that could improve future phones.

Things that are missing from all Smartphones today are
- 2TB+ Storage (already possible with m.2 ssd's about the size of an SD card.
- gpu's capable of handling all the Mobile Ports companies have been bringing to the market (lot's from China here) rn setting things to max graphic settings is just not feasable for prolonged time (given battery consumption and heat).
- AV1 encode/decode (this is very important for the next 2-5 years for everything video playback/production)
- Bluetooth (will probably see upgrades past 5.3 aka LE) within a few years
- better wifi chips (come out annually so there's always improvement)

AntOk463 t1_iu6r2zf wrote

To basically everyone, these aren't going to make a noticeable difference. Yes I know every ear and every new processor is faster and better than the previous one, but it's very minor and the only was to know the difference is by running a test or comparing them side by side.