Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hyde0000 t1_iyaasnh wrote

I had the same issue with D5200 upgrade to flagship D9200. I could hear EVERY note. Clarity went way up but it just sounds.... Boring?

I later realize for me at least Tonality > Technicality. So I'd rather listen to something less refined but to my taste rather than something more refined but not to my taste.

So as you said maybe Sundara is just too sterile for your taste. As much as most "audiophile" say they don't want midbass, it adds the extra warmth that's needed in most situations. For myself I also realize I can't use headphones that doesn't have treble sparkle and vocal presence. So first you need to find your preference.

That being said, what are you using to drive the Sundara? Sundara need a lot of power to sing. I've heard of people who switched amp and completely changed the sound. One recent example I read is the new FiiO K7 seems to pair well. Otherwise try to look for beefier / warmer amp. I imagine THX 999 would be a poor pairing since it's said to be cold/sterile. Topping amp probably not good either since it's also lean/clean sounding.

GrimTurtle666 OP t1_iyacbhl wrote

I'm using a Topping Dx3 Pro+ which should have enough power and is said to be very transparent, which may not be a good thing for the Sundara!

hyde0000 t1_iyadvcg wrote

Yeah effectively you have lean/cold headphone driven by lean/cold dac/amp. Otherwise normally speaking DX3 Pro+ is a respectable dac/amp combo.

But over time I realize headphone + dac + amp is a math problem LOL. End result is all that matters.

So yeah probably need a warmer dac or amp. Good luck!

blorg t1_iybzs1b wrote

If you want "warmer", that's what EQ is for. The DX3 Pro+ is an accurate DAC/amp, you can add as much "warmer" as you like with EQ. Or whatever else either.