Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

goldfish_memories t1_j21pha0 wrote

Well according to u/oratory1990, whose an acoustic engineer with a phd, it headphones are minimum phase

wwt3 t1_j21trvp wrote

Interesting fellow oratory, no disrespecting the legend, but I also have a graduate degree in acoustics, and headphones are my full time work. I’ve measured many many headphones and in fact found, as I noted, that many headphones aren’t minimum phase “for their entire bandwidth” and I highly doubt he’ll disagree with that statement. It’s common knowledge in the headphone industry. There’s even some good plots of it floating around this sub , if I recall specifically calling out the LCD2, focal (forget which one), m50s, and hd600s. If you don’t believe me dig around and you’ll find them. - not that that in any way makes them bad headphones, again, I just get frustrated when people just echo other comments they read when they don’t know what it means/it isn’t completely true

oratory1990 t1_j2354j9 wrote

I don‘t have a PhD and yes, minimum phase ends usually about an octave below 20 kHz, depending on the size of the front volume.
In-ear headphones normally are up to 20 k and higher since the front volume is so much smaller.