Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CrowVsWade t1_izht876 wrote

You might want to check out the beyerdynamic mmx300. Very decent all round performer across gaming and even music. Solid build and very durable, as with most beyerdynamic models.

I am lucky to have Aryas, 1990s and hd800s and obviously that's a different class, but for 5x the price. For 2-300 bucks, they're a good choice. Not wireless, however, if that matters to you.

maXXXjacker t1_izhyktx wrote

I totally just had the MMX 300 in my cart believe it or not!

I was probably minutes away from pulling the trigger until I saw the post here on Reddit about the Maxwell. I immediately went onto Audeze's website and ordered it without hesitation. The wireless isn't really a big deal to me as I would rather run everything wired off my array of dac/amps I have but I am a pretty big fan of how the Mobius sounded back in the day when my friend had owned one but I was really put off after reading about all the issues with it and build quality problems of the Penrose and by extension the Cloud Orbit S. So I thought, okay, well maybe I'll go with the MMX 300 until the next generation of Penrose is released.

What timing!

I'll probably consider getting the MMX 300 at some point for giggles but my closed back 'gaming headphone' needs will probably be met with the Maxwell. Thinking about scooping up some non gaming Beyers though! I've always avoided them because of how bright or analytical I hear they sound. Kind of looking for something less on the analytical side, mostly. The TYGR came up as an interesting compromise and more what I was looking for. I ordered one of those to test the waters and it showed up today but sadly the left driver is hosed and will need to go back to Beyer.