Submitted by thescofflawl t3_zp0bhe in headphones

Hey guys, what do you think of these 2 for roughly the same price and why (the HD6XX are $239 and the HD660s are currently refurbished for $229 at Sennheiser Outlet)

Background on my listening:

I've been daily driving the HD560s for a bit and I have really enjoyed them for the price. Genres I mainly listen to are Classical, Rock, Electronic, and Metal. I also game and spend a large portion currently playing Warzone :D

Background to the HD560s: They've been really great to me for what I need them for. The sound immersion is insane on them and I like the sub-bass they have. They're also good for FPS games. Downside is they're a bit sterile and vocals don't really shine on them would them. They're also cheap feeling for how much they retail for.

I got the chance to try out the HD600, and while they're great headphones I ended up returning them as they weren't the right fit for me.

Background to the HD600: They were incredible on vocals. I was listening to some Roy Orbison that I've heard hundreds of times and I had to do a double take when his singing started. The timbre in his voice was so lifelike I had never heard that before on headphones (vs the HD560s where his voice felt not as clear and a bit filtered off to the side). They also had a very nice warm analog sound that I enjoyed.

Where they ended up not feeling right to me was their very small soundstage and lack of sub-bass. I finally got what everyone was saying about them being intimate. It really did sound like I was listening to a small ensemble perform on a corner stage in a lounge. The singer was right in front of me with the instruments a little back harder to discern separation. For classical, compared to the sound stage in the 560s it was really not a fair comparison. I tested Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique and Brahms Symphony No.4 back to back and with the HD560s you could hear the harmonies of the different string sections move around you by what felt like 20 feet whereas the HD600 felt like just a very high-quality stereo recording.

I still want to try the remaining SKUs in the 600-series, so based on your experiences, which do you prefer and why? (I also ordered a pair of AKG K702 for classical listening, so the Sennheisers do not need to do everything).

Comments