Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Lithosfear t1_j8frzqk wrote

My aunt used to work for English Heritage and was the custodian of this castle in the 80s and 90s. It’s an awesome place that I loved visiting as a kid.

The buried treasure myth was a childhood thrill, and the caves were used as a filming location for the 1991 Robin Hood film!

But no, not THAT 1991 Robin Hood film… the other one!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_(1991_British_film)

MattSR30 t1_j8h08ik wrote

One of the things that enticed me to move to the UK was the opportunity to work in or around the plethora of history the UK has.

I’d love to work for English Heritage or the Royal Trust, something like that. Sounds like your aunt had a cool job! I hope to get there some day!

Lithosfear t1_j8j46h5 wrote

I hope you do too, good luck with the dream!

yawningangel t1_j8h4l0g wrote

"Across from the castle at Beeston, you can also see the hill next door which houses Peckforton Castle, Built in the 19th century for the MP Sir John Tollemache."

I spent a couple of nights there (Peckforton) just after Christmas.

Was in the UK to visit family and had a few trips planned, looking at accommodation around Chester and asked my partner "have you ever stayed in a castle?"

My partner is Aussie, even though they have a long history here they are quite lacking in castles, she was pretty pumped..

Pan_Galactic_G_B t1_j8jsgb7 wrote

Back in the 80s I used to go there when it was a ruin. It was called Treasure Trap for a while and was home to D&D LARPing. It was pretty off the hook, you had to assume your character as soon as you went through the gatehouse onto the grounds. The action was 24/7 and on more than one occasion we were raided in the early hours. It was meant to be acting but the fighting was actually pretty brutal. The 1st day we ever went 2 people were take away in an ambulance on 2 separate occasions. It was a simpler time long before the internet. Edit - found a link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Trap

yawningangel t1_j8ls830 wrote

I remember reading that when I looked up the history of the building, was sat in their "cellar bar" trying to imagine larpers running around the corridors.

Sounded absolutely fantastic, also very cool it kickstarted the movement in the UK.

alkemiex7 t1_j8i4xyx wrote

How does the British Robin Hood from 1991 compare to the Kevin Costner extravaganza that we grew up with across the pond?

11matt95 t1_j8ij5wg wrote

Honestly I thought they meant men in tights, but that came out in 93

Lithosfear t1_j8j3uhm wrote

Oh I grew up with the same one as you I imagine. It wasn’t until years later that I saw this other one. Not as fun or as campy as the Kevin Costner one. And no amazing theme song that reigned supreme on the charts for like forever!