[deleted] t1_jcfc2ia wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_jcfg7tc wrote

[removed]

−6

[deleted] t1_jcfi1uc wrote

[removed]

JoeNoble1973 t1_jcf6wo6 wrote

My Egyptian armies captured Dongola in a Medieval wargame I play! Just the other night, in fact. Sorry that’s all i got, very cool discovery!

Abreeman t1_jcfjida wrote

What game?

JoeNoble1973 t1_jcg4a07 wrote

Medieval 2: Total War. It’s old but mods keep it banging!

Godwinson_ t1_jcg9zzk wrote

Stainless steel is nice! Medieval 2 is one of the best games out there, even to this day!

Eyes-9 t1_jcgxcj1 wrote

I love that game! I don't think I've even tried it with mods hmm

Krokan62 t1_jch0rdm wrote

Can you please lemme know what mods you use to keep it banging? It's my fav TW all time and I'd love to sink more time into it.

JoeNoble1973 t1_jch5yb0 wrote

Like someone mentioned, ‘Stainless Steel’ mod is great. Fractures the map into more and smaller factions, culture-specific units, etc. Makes that grand old game ‘new’ again for you! 👍👍

AstrumRimor t1_jciqoop wrote

I want to play Egyptian army wars… how do I do this?

JoeNoble1973 t1_jcj3q4r wrote

‘Medieval 2: Total War’ is the game, it’s available on Steam!

Beemer2 t1_jchchd1 wrote

You should check out Pharaoh: New Era. Released last month an is a spot for spot remake of the 1998 classic city builder.

JoeNoble1973 t1_jchju5b wrote

😮 what a game! I remember building mustabas!! Thanks so much, I’ll look it up!

a-really-big-muffin t1_jchalom wrote

Interesting, but I guess I'm not sure I'd call this a "huge" discovery? The stones are from a temple that dates to roughly the same time as the Nubians reigning as pharaohs, and if I'd just taken over a country and wanted to prove that I was totally legit, building a temple in my kingdom is an easy way to do it. Unless I misinterpreted the article and the huge part wasn't the existence of the temple, it was the age of it.

Mister_Red_Bird t1_jchwyvz wrote

As the article says "no evidence of such early construction activity on the site has been identified so far."

This important because "“This would push back the known history of this city by over 1000 years,” said Dr. Wieczorek."

That seems pretty significant to me.

Strawbuddy t1_jch2llt wrote

Very cool stuff. I read about the Sudanese pharaohs in Natl Geographic years ago, and they keep popping up. I hope they're able to id the stone, as Sudanese pyramids look to be made of black stone locally obtainable

Arcosim t1_jcigtmc wrote

Was it about the 25th dynasty? They're one of the most interesting dynasties. They originated in the Nubian Kush, became Pharaohs through conquest and then managed to unify Lower and Upper Egypt and Ancient Egypt reached its largest territorial extension during their rule.

AstrumRimor t1_jcir718 wrote

I was just looking at Sudanese pyramids on Google earth the other day! And clicking on people’s photos who visited them, they’re pretty amazing.

[deleted] t1_jcf54aq wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_jcf5lf8 wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_jce5ikf wrote

[removed]

−35

[deleted] t1_jce5xmm wrote

[removed]

nadiaco t1_jcfc47p wrote

Diop was writing about this decades ago. the way ppl think Africans don't know their history. um

−42

r-reading-my-comment t1_jcfl8ua wrote

Do you think someone’s saying Europeans don’t know their history when new Roman settlements are found?

Stop trying to start fires.

Edit: forgot to write that reading the article will also help, that said the you’re also misrepresenting the title.

thepotofbasil t1_jcfj4ks wrote

How is that possible? I get that diop discussed these themes, but the article (despite clickbait title) is about a specific recent discovery. Would love a source (genuinely interested)