Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Confused_Idol t1_ivd0r2s wrote

My great uncle used to muse how the German pows had better treatment than he did as a black man.

TinKicker t1_ivdvp3a wrote

FWIW, my dad guarded Herman Göring during the Nazi trials in Nuremberg. He had the same complaint.

ooo-ooo-oooyea t1_iveto90 wrote

so who slipped him the suicide pills?

TinKicker t1_iveu9ly wrote

He didn’t know. Wasn’t his watch. All he did was have a three minute egg timer. Every time the sand ran out, he had to open a little window to observe the general eating his catered meals, reading books from his library or writing letters. As long as he’s not dying, close the little door and flip the egg timer over. Such was the life of an E-2 in the Big Red 1…after the war.

ooo-ooo-oooyea t1_ivewmku wrote

That had to be quite an experience. Despite being a huge monster, I bet he was very charismatic and tried to manipulate the guards for stuff.

TestingHydra t1_ivf46vh wrote

From one historical thing I watched a while ago I think one of the guards of Göring said how he requested a container of hair gel that he previously possessed. The guard didn't think much of it, Göring had been pleasant and so the guard got it for him, unaware of the pills hidden inside.

ColtS117 t1_iwrqjyt wrote

He concealed them in something stored in his rectum.

redcrowknifeworks t1_ivfrm3f wrote

Yeah, everyones waxing poetic about treating these "poor kids who had been conscripted" with basically nobody questioning why all of these soldiers, even considering many of them were likely just doing what they had to do, were being welcomed with such open arms by the west and were assimilating so well.

Someone could even question if this went hand in hand with hitler getting some inspiration from the USA's segregation for the holocaust. or with allied powers essentially giving across-the-board pardons to axis scientists.

KahuTheKiwi t1_iw4m580 wrote

I read a collection of Hitler's speaches. He was a huge fan of the US and emulated a number things; Monroe Doctrine was the source of his Sphere of Influence idea, Manifest Destiny and Living Space In the East, slavery and slavery.

Apparently the Nuremburg laws were copied from Alabama state laws. The laws on eugenics were provided by the New York based Eugenics Society.

Meanwhile concentration camps in German were inspired by the British concentration camps used during the Boer Wars