Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Wazzok1 t1_ivei86z wrote

During the 2015 refugee crisis, hundreds of thousands of people were placed in internment camps across Europe, one of the most notable being the 'Calais Jungle' in France. So, one, this establishes that internment camps are still to this day legitimised policy responses to an influx of refugees.

Secondly, Russia has been interning Ukrainian refugees in camps since it invaded the country last February, where they are tortured before being 'filtrated' into Russia. Bosnian refugees were systematically tortured in Serbian refugee camps in the 1990s. In 1974, Paramali Forest camp was set up in Cyprus to take in Greek Cypriot refugees after Turkey invaded the island. So, two, the three most recent examples of European nations interning refugees during times of war show that there's no reason why an internment camp 'wouldn't happen today'.

RavenReel t1_ivglohr wrote

This is just all a big baiting game I see.

Second point first... Russia doesn't really matter as I said 'West' and Putin isn't listening to anyone anyway.

And Calais wasnt built by France to contain 'the enemy'. To the best of my knowledge Calais was an organic migrant camp started by migrants as they waited to legally enter France or return to England.

I'm talking about government run camps built in order to control an 'enemy' county's people is a prison-like compound.

Wazzok1 t1_ivgw2u1 wrote

Honestly, it's not a baiting game. It's a discussion. We're fine.

1. You'll notice that I gave two examples other than Russia. Conveniently you ignored them.
  2. The reason I separated my two points was because I'm fully aware Calais isn't an example of internment during war time. I clearly explained myself in italics.

Let me spell it out for you. The Calais Jungle shows that interning refugees is still a legitimate policy of 'Western' countries like France during peacetime. The examples of Russia, Serbia and Cyprus show that there is no reason to believe that during a state of war, Western nations would not intern 'enemy aliens' today.