Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AliMcGraw t1_iz7rndp wrote

So, just FYI, that's a very anglo-saxon thing, and other Christian countries/traditions don't mark Easter with eggs and bunnies. (Or they didn't, until international advertising became a thing and English-language holiday traditions kind of conquered some of those holidays completely.)

(Although the Bible does totally use eggs as a symbol of fertility, and even refers to God as a hen brooding over her eggs.) (I cannot remember any rabbit references off the top of my head, but I bet they're there in the Levitical rules about what you're allowed to eat.)

Due_Signature_5497 t1_iz8pz5e wrote

But a man eating rabbit guards the final resting place of Joseph of aramathea and the final clue to the location of the Holy Grail in the Castle of Arrrrggghhh.

CK2Noob t1_iz7w7rr wrote

The concept of eggs do fertility is probably something a lot of unrelated cultures realized too, it’s the same with spring festivals. They’re common in tons of cultures. Easter being celebrated around spring also has Christian theological meaning (with the whole resurrection thing). So Yeah.. I don’t understand why the Myth gets repeated.