Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

thomashefe t1_izpl9lm wrote

I mean the article had no mention of Cleopatra - just a photo from a movie clip of someone playing Cleopatra. Feels like you’re missing the point of the entire article if this is what your takeaway is.

Goofy_hypocrites t1_izpp0ff wrote

No mention of Cleopatra? Cmon dude.

The headline of the article uses a picture of Liz Taylor as Cleopatra, and her picture is used as a comparison to a sarcophagus that Cleopatra was NOT buried in. I clicked on the link before commenting.

Was Cleopatra in ancient Egypt as a colonizer? Sure. Did she use makeup? I’ve never seen a painting of the Greek Cleopatra in Egyptian eye makeup. She shouldn’t have been used in anything related to the culture of ancient Egypt. People who don’t know better will attribute her white skin to ancient Egypt, and we both know that.

−61

grazerbat t1_izpq1ri wrote

If there was a better example available, I'd agree that should be uses. That said, the Ptolomayic Dynasty adopted a lot of the indigenous culture. A black person wearing Lederhosen still serves as a good example of what Lederhosen look like.

>Did she use makeup? I’ve never seen a painting of the Greek Cleopatra in Egyptian eye makeup.

You seem like an intelligent person. I'm sure you know that absence if evidence is not evidence If absence

Unlimitles t1_izqfzgi wrote

are you saying she wasn't indigenous to the land? if that is what you're saying you'd be correct, her family was from Greece, but her family colonized egypt, and she was born in Egypt.

She's nationally an Egyptian, but ethnically Greek.

in the same way an African person born in America Is Ethnically African, and Nationally American.