Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

E-Scooter-Hoodlum t1_j0zbdt5 wrote

There is a french animation franchise with the title "Once Upon a Time...". They did a series about human biology, history, science fiction, the age of discovery and the history of the USA and while it is dated, it's some of the best material I have experienced that gives young children a broad understanding of history and science in general.

I would start young children with that before anything else and leave deeper topics of history for later.

Edit: Also if your child starts to take interest in any part of history. Feed them books from Osprey Publishing. They go a damn good job of showing the tools and clothes of past centuries and you learn more about history if you know the technologie the people had back then in their daily lifes, than from tales of wars and political events.

Runonlaulaja t1_j10l69y wrote

Those are bloody awesome, and kids in school still watch them in Finland.

My son watched the human biology one when he was 4. It has everything from sex to diseases, you don't have to answer any questions by yourself after that.

It is a very neat series.

​

EDIT. I have the history one on DVD even!

PapaStoner t1_j11ag8o wrote

Il était une fois l'homme is a masterpiece.

TheNumLocker OP t1_j113rd1 wrote

This series is excellent, I agree! I mostly remember the human biology seasons with the two villain kids as bacteria:D