Submitted by VadeMecums t3_111bhi1 in iphone

I keep noticing that out of all the cables I own, lighting connectors degrade really fast. I have usb cables that are 20 years old that still work. I’ve had lighting connectors go bag in a week. The pins degrade and seem to run off or fall out or oxidize. Anyone know if a cable with a really durable connector or what to look for?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

JustASleepyKitteh t1_j8dn33n wrote

I mean. I’ve never had an official Apple cable fail me. Get tatty? Sure. But fail me? I’ve not had that happen personally. But full disclosure I’m a very cautious user of all my tech soo I’m probably more gentle than most.

cr0wit0 t1_j8dy3tk wrote

The 4th pin is burned right? I think the cable is always energized and when you slide it in, it arcs.. burning the fourth pin over time. Best thing to do is to unplug and plug the charger before and after plugging the iPhone. Or use apple bricks rather than other bricks. With the new usb-c apple bricks, this is no longer the case, the power is requested by your phone. (Usb-a are always energized) As for degrade or oxidize… no.. sorry, never had that happen with the original cables.

VadeMecums OP t1_j8fjr1i wrote

Maybe I just need a case that adapts it to usb-C. I would use Qi but I heard it degrades the battery faster and charges slower.

cr0wit0 t1_j8fl60g wrote

Wireless charging does. Like 3% to 5% faster per year.. is not that much.

4-3-4 t1_j8esfgt wrote

Anker

inspectorgadgetaudio t1_j8hcxtd wrote

I like my Ugreen right angle lightening cable. Strong with braided outer sheath and the right angle means I’m not bending the cable at the lightening port if I’m using my phone while charging. MFI certified too. I think I got it from Amazon 🤔