Submitted by Adult_InThe_Room t3_1169r0q in iphone

I'm 68 years old, my first phone was a Blackberry and I stayed with them until the bitter end. Then I went to Android, including the Blackberry Android Keyone. I still have a Blackberry Passport for home use as a Personal Assistant. But now, I bought a 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid. The display panel only uses iPhone Car Play. So, I said to myself, what the heck. I'm going to buy an older iPhone for this car! And how appropriate is the Apple iPhone 12 - Mini was released in 2020! The car is blue and I bought the blue Mini to match with it. Yep, I'm going over board! So, I want to get to speed on ways to how to operate the Mini. Can anyone recommend perhaps a YouTube video that I can study before the Mini arrives Thursday?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

effinwayshegoes t1_j96wssh wrote

I respect your willingness to learn technology given youā€™re an older gentleman. I know some people your age who program but I also know many your age who just walk around barely knowing how to use their phones/computer etc.

Thereā€™s so much potential on the devices. Itā€™s like a magic little pocket pool that can do and tell you whatever you want. Iā€™m sure from the time you were a kid until now has been quite exciting.

O-M-E-R-T-A t1_j985l16 wrote

Apple has pretty good tutorials/step by step guides in various settings and services on/around their iPhones on their website. Pretty easy to understand imo - check them out.

When you create your iCloud account make sure to note everything down on a piece of paper and store that in a secure place (in case you forget your password or whatever). Account recovery can be a painā€¦

If you have a PC/Mac I strongly suggest doing local backups. So even if you lose access to your phone/iCloud you still have access to photos, contacts and all that.

Do you have the proper sized SIM (nano)?

Consider getting a protective case and foil. Saved my phone twice from a costly repair.

If I am not mistaken the 12 comes without a charging brick. So get gone as well as a lightning to USB cable.

Adult_InThe_Room OP t1_j989r6y wrote

Now you make me feel ancient! LMAO When I was a child, Telephone service was party line! I had an Aunt & Uncle who lived in the country and the party lines were worse, in that, in addition to the entire neighborhood knew your business. Each person on my Uncles party line had their own number of rings! You had to listen to the rings code to figure out if it was a call for you or your neighbor. There were no calculators and one person my parents knew in Michigan had an outdoor toilet shed. I was always curious and my first computer was an Atari 16K, not even floppy drive, but cassette tape. , then I went to Commodore 64k portable! My grandmother was born in 1899! Holy Crap! I am old! LOL But yeah, I'm pumped, can't wit to learn a new thing! I coming off a pixel 6a running GrapheneOS, an ultra secure and privacy OS for android, so coming over to iPhone is going 180 degrees, Did you ever run umbutu mobile, quite a sweet phone OS. I've also install LineageOS on Androids.

Adult_InThe_Room OP t1_j98c6pc wrote

Good stuff! I'm fairly privacy oriented, I use ProtonMail and their; contacts, calendar, VPN, plus they have a PM-Drive. I use Mega NZ too,

Got a nano sim on Verizon, I made sure the Mini was unlocked so it can go with Tmobile too.

I have a case ordered, an Outterbox Defender ready to go. I have a buffalo terabyte portable drive for backups.

Is there an iPhone app for Mega? I use Mega for pictures and docs. Pics automatically upload on Android, I hope for the same feature on iPhone.

Accidentally, I do have a lightning to usb cable!

I have a 35 watt charger from a Oneplus One 7t Pro 5G and I assume it will run on lower watt phones? It does on my androids.

What is Foil?

O-M-E-R-T-A t1_j98juih wrote

The foil (not sure itā€™s the right term - not a native English speaker šŸ˜‡) is for the display. I usually just have a silicone bumper so the foil protects the display. Display cover might be the better term.

I donā€™t really use cloud services. There used to be apps that can manage access to several cloud services and even offer encryption like Cryptomator.

I am a bit sceptical about Mega because the guy behind it is/was on FBI radar so I would assume that they keep a closer look on his projects than any others. Proton as located in Switzerland is a better choice imo. On the other hand for non private data it doesenā€™t really matter.

I still use the brick from my 5s on my current 8 no idea about more powerful bricks.

Looks like you got the basics covered. You will most likely encounter several inconveniences- well at least I did when I switched to iOS several years ago. It is what it is - being in a walled garden. There are often less options to chose - where Android has 3-5 things how to do something on iOS there might just be 1-2. Ober the time I got over it though.

My only annoyances that persist are lack of sideloading (like from f-droid) and stupid/limited iTunes. There are however pretty good 3rd party tools that can replace iTunes like 3uTools (free) and IMazing (paid). I strongly suggest taking a look at then (IMazing has a feature limited free trial, so you can test before possibly wasting money). Instead of doing a full backup 3rd party tools allow you to just backup photos or contacts and also view/browse the data.

Adult_InThe_Room OP t1_j98w3rh wrote

Ah, ok; Foil = Screen Protector

I'll miss fdroid-Newpipe, but I can still use it, and transfer YouTube downloaded music to iPhone. Yeah, fdroid, I used lots of fdroid. :( Hey, thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Wellcraft19 t1_j9985xz wrote

68 is NOT old. Much of the technology you use today was developed by individuals of a greater age than this distinguished gentleman.

I always recommend to dig into the Apple Support pages. Tons upon tons of good information. And important to get the basics, as iPhones do operate a bit differently. iCloud Photos as one stellar example.

BluetrainersUK t1_j99xomu wrote

Enjoy just be sure you are making a connection to enable car play. The menu ( similar to iPhone screen) should appear after you plug in your USB cable in car or make a wireless connection. Havenā€™t yet figured out the wireless car play connection with my iPhone 11 running with a Nissan Versa.

effinwayshegoes t1_j9d5aj7 wrote

Sir. That means you had to unlock the boot loader and load custom firmware. Thatā€™s amazing! Good on you getting the Atari, I bet that early access to a more complex user interface gave you the ability from then on to understand future systems.

Thatā€™s incredible about the phone system, itā€™s still crazy to me to think of phone switching stations with the women in there, transferring calls. Very interesting.

I work on a boat so Iā€™m used to buckets as my bathroom haha I would have no problems with an old out house!