Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Sylvurphlame t1_j8oilb5 wrote

Right?

The whole splitting a purchase over installments thing a useful tool when properly utilized. But like any tool, it shouldn’t be overly relied upon. But if you have an unexpected purchase? Sure, now I can split it across two paychecks instead of taking a lump sum from my emergency fund.

jadondrew t1_j8okt0l wrote

But that’s not why they’re implementing that and I think you know that. They don’t make any money when you take on a responsible amount of debt you can pay off. They make money from the people that take on too many payments then can’t afford to pay them on time.

Sylvurphlame t1_j8olc4h wrote

Or they get a cut of the sales price, same as a normal credit card fee? Hell if I know how they work it. Not my problem.

I’ll be blunt, if it’s available and I fail to use it responsibly, that’s my problem. If it’s available and multiple people fail to use it responsibly, then that’s their problem. If it’s multiple multiple people then it’s a matter for regulators.

jadondrew t1_j8olh7s wrote

I’m not worried about myself. I’m worried about the people that are going to be harmed when this ends up at everyone’s fingertips.