Submitted by ethanmenzel t3_12589j8 in iphone

I was going to listen to some classical music in Apple's new Apple Music Classical app, and since I regularly use airpods I have a backup pair of 3.5 mm headphone jack Apple earpods for when I'm using my Mac. I have a 3.5 mm to USB C adapter and a USB C to lightning adapter I bought off of amazon. I thought I could connect the 3.5mm to USB C and then USBC to lightning and plug it into my iPhone and listen to music. It turns out that does not work because you can not specify the output source on iOS, which is very stupid. But you can on Mac. Does Anyone know a workaround to get my headphones working with what I said, or would I need to buy the 3.5 mm to lightning dongle?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

atomicsiren t1_je2z91t wrote

> would I need to buy the 3.5 mm to lightning dongle?

Yes.

tekko001 t1_je30pk8 wrote

Buying all those Lightning dongles it's going to feel really mixed when we have to throw them away next year if Apple finally changes to USB C

Ex_Why_ t1_je33n4j wrote

The more fun part is going to be charging your phone with USB C and charging your airpods with lightning... and then you have the charger for the watch.

tekko001 t1_je34k59 wrote

And I still have a drawer full with 30-pin-connector dongles, I paid so much for them I still don't feel like throwing them away

ethanmenzel OP t1_je35lg4 wrote

Yeah, that's why I bought the 3.5 mm to USB C, thinking that when I upgraded to the 13 pro when I did it would have USB C, but sadly it didn’t

toastyhoodie t1_je2zcph wrote

Why would you go through all that hassle when a lightning to 3.5mm is literally $10.

And no, it wouldn’t work with what you have.

ethanmenzel OP t1_je2zklj wrote

Because thatis what I had without having to go and buy another dongle

toastyhoodie t1_je2zsgy wrote

Definitely worth just having the lightning to 3.5 around.

In a perfect world we’d still have headphone jacks.