Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CanadianZinger t1_iu51xf3 wrote

I use both a S21Ultra (work phone) and Iphone 14 Pro (personal phone) on the daily. So don't necessarily miss the features but I do wish iPhone had them.

1. USB F*CKING C, charging on iPhone just sucks. Yes iPhones have good battery life, but they also take double the time to charge fully so it's definitely a tradeoff. Takes 90 minutes to charge iPhone fully.
  2. Split Screen
  3. Better file/photos management, like why tf does a photo still remain in the "recents" after I add it in an Album. There should be an option to "move to album" or copy to album. The photos app just looks clunky and gives me a headache because of how poor the file management is on iOS.
  4. Multimedia volume controls. Like let me keep the ringer volume up while keeping notifications and media on mute. Seems like a basic software thing.
  5. Universal back swipe, users who have never used an android don't often understand the importance of this. Navigation is so much simpler and reliable on android because of this.
  6. Samsung Knox secure folder.
  7. Siri sucks to the point where it's not even worth using, I feel like it's actually getting worse over time. Google Assistant is easily a decade ahead. Voice controls are better on android all together.

EDIT I chose to buy an iPhone because I like to keep my working and personal mobile workflows separate. I have now used an iPhone as my personal phone since 2015 and have owned 3 iterations in this time. I primarily opted for the iphone such that I could remain in both Android and IOS and avoid carrying two of the same phones while utilizing the strengths of each system. I certainly enjoy many aspects of the iPhone. Though if I were to lose my work phone or be required to only carry a single device, I would probably choose the latest Android flagship. I think Android has matured quite a bit and most anti-android sentiments are driven from social reasons as opposed to actual product technical assessments. People somehow judge android's flaws more harshly while often turning a blind eye to Apple's crap. iPhone is a solid product, but it is most certainly over-hyped and is not good value for money IMO.

OptionalCookie t1_iu76bgr wrote

Oh #4.

When I connect my S8 to my Google Home Mini... I get an extra bar for volume control on the mini, the ringer, and phone media.

WeReallyOutHere10 t1_iu88hul wrote

Oh #1, #4, #5, #7 I miss so fucking much… I didn’t appreciate how good google assistant is

moonshwang t1_iu6r4lj wrote

Regarding universal back swipe: If you’re wanting to go back to the previous app, you can just swipe to the right (to go back) and to the left (to return to the same app) along the bottom of the screen where the gesture bar is.

CanadianZinger t1_iu7gjw2 wrote

Yeah, it is not the same thing on iOS. This feature is implemented extremely differently on android and Samsung's OneUI. Can only be initiated from the left side. Furthermore, it is not relievable, and every app utilizes this feature differently. Meanwhile many apps and menu options aren't optimized for this feature at all, and you have to use the standard back arrow.

Whereas the universal back swipe on android just works the same way across all apps/services and is reliable.

Again, this is coming from someone who uses both flagship devices on the daily.

moonshwang t1_iub3e1n wrote

I’ve also used Android for years until I started using iPhone. I couldn’t tell you the last time I’ve had to use the top left back arrow after two years of iPhone usage, I always just swipe back from the left which works pretty well.

Can you explain exactly what you mean by universal back swipe?

NotSureWTFUmean t1_iu9xwu9 wrote

Agreed, google assistant is definitely better. Having said that, I never used it much except to occasionally start a navigation while driving, schedule an occasional reminder and make the odd hands free text or call. In that context both systems do what I need. I never did delve into anything deeper than that on my pixel although I was aware of the other stuff.

GlitchParrot t1_iu82oe1 wrote

> USB F*CKING C, charging on iPhone just sucks.

Charging speed has nothing to do with the port, the iPhone’s charging circuitry just cannot handle more than ~20W.

> Multimedia volume controls. Like let me keep the ringer volume up while keeping notifications and media on mute.

While you can’t keep ringer and notifications separate (which you also cannot do on Android iirc), media volume and ringer volume are two different volumes in iOS. Settings → Sounds → Ringtone and Alert Volume is a different slider than the one in Control Centre.

> Universal back swipe, users who have never used an android don’t often understand the importance of this. Navigation is so much simpler and reliable on android because of this.

iOS pursues a very different model with this, that can’t easily be changed into Android’s. Android’s design started out with a physical button for “back”. The back gesture was an afterthought in Android 10, and simply displays an arrow on the side of the screen when used.

iOS’s design is all about fluid animations creating intuitive motions. If a page opens by sliding from the right to the left, you close it by swiping it back where it came from, from the left to the right (a page in an app). If it opens from the bottom up, you swipe it down to close it (modals). This needs to be under the control of the app so that it can actually physically animate the page when you swipe it. This is the model that Apple recommends any developer to implement in their apps. If an app does not adhere to these gestures, it’s badly designed.

−6

Odder1 t1_iuerxnw wrote

Tell me, why can the iPhone's charging circuitry (the proprietary lightning tristar) unable to handle more than 20w?

GlitchParrot t1_iuf062m wrote

Because it is designed that way.

Odder1 t1_iuf0az6 wrote

So, if they design it with USB-C instead...

GlitchParrot t1_iuf0jw1 wrote

They would need to specifically design it to handle more than 20W to handle more than 20W. The port has nothing to do with it, it all depends on what voltages and current the charging circuitry microchips can send to the battery.

Odder1 t1_iuf0rmm wrote

To use usb-c like the ipads, they would need to use the same chips, which can handle more than 20w, no? They're just going to create a new, worse one for more money?

GlitchParrot t1_iuf1acw wrote

I’m no expert in what exact chips they use inside the iPads, but the charging circuitry of iPads is designed for much larger batteries and therefore would probably need much more unnecessary space, so they would probably need to design a new one.

If they could just use the same chips as iPads, they could’ve done this with Lightning too, given that the 2017 iPad Pro could already charge at 30W.

Odder1 t1_iuf1wg8 wrote

latest iphones actually do 30w too (13 pro max and 14 pro max)

No, the charging circuitry for USB-C isn't designed specifically for higher capacity batteries, that doesn't make any sense. My android phone can charge with usb-c at 65w, more than any iPad. Battery management is typically done with a battery bms attached to your iPhone's battery cell(s). There is no excuse.

GlitchParrot t1_iuf26zi wrote

You still emphasise my own point: It has nothing to do with USB-C. They could do 65W charging over Lightning. And they could do 20W charging via USB-C if they don’t change the charging circuitry from the current one. That’s all I’m saying.

Odder1 t1_iuf2fwe wrote

65w charging over lightning, probably not tbh... may need a cable revision for that one

Simon_787 t1_iu5apra wrote

The S21 Ultra also has really slow ass charging speeds compared to anything but the Pixel, which is somehow even slower.

−7

124psu t1_iu5c8lb wrote

1. You’re missing out if you don’t own an apple usb c fast charger. Chargers my phone in less than 20 min.
−22

CanadianZinger t1_iu5gnku wrote

Okay that is simply not true. It takes a little less than 2 hours to go from 0-100 when using Apple's own 20w usb-c to lightning charger. You actually get better results in using Anker and Spigen chargers.