Submitted by panth0000 t3_z7x76n in iphone

Hey all,

Title. I just don’t see how with all of Apple’s resources Siri is not better than it is. For me personally, I think iPhone is by far the best choice in phone and ecosystem.

Having a southern accent, I feel like makes it somewhat worse . I know there is an option to send voice recordings to Apple, but I don’t think that helps Siri locally to be better on your phone?

Anyway, if there’s some option I’m missing to make Siri better,Please let me know lol.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Haymoose t1_iy8s7ht wrote

Siri gets worse with each release. You are not alone. As of IOS15, I cannot request a specific song in CarPlay without first opening the music app. I assume this is due to the addition of alternative providers. however I don't see any options from a user perspective to set Apple Music as my default player. IOS16 has not corrected this issue.

CarPlay notoriously opens random podcasts in Overcast when I request certain songs "From my library."

Siri is a failure, and now I noticed last night my ecosystem is not syncing my DND config. So while I slept in "Sleep mode" on my watch and phone, my iMac dinged and blinged all night. More energy is spent on scanning my photos for unacceptable political commentary meme content Apple prevents me from sharing in messages unless I lighten or darken them adjusting the checksum.

TheSwampPenguin t1_iy8kt4g wrote

PROTIP : Don't ever use Siri. For anything. Ever.

writeswithknives t1_iy96c0g wrote

I cannot fathom the shame I'd feel if I was on the Siri team at an apple employee gathering. Literally the dented-brain Mickey Mouse meme next to their audio engineers, who are represented by Steroid Mickey Mouse.

neurocognia t1_iy904cr wrote

Google assistant is much better 🙈🙈

Particular_Raise_360 t1_iyb8ofs wrote

Siri isn’t good because it respects privacy. It doesn’t collect data from other users unlike other virtual assistants.

happycj t1_iy9ah1d wrote

Siri is a web app. It requires an internet connection to operate, because everything you say to it is sent to Apple's servers to be processed.

And, while I find "Talk to text" on my iPhone to be almost flawless, Siri is severely limited by which apps support it.

For example, I can't tell Siri to "pause the music" or "skip this song" because I use Spotify, and Spotify and Apple are fighting, so Siri pretends not to know Spotify is playing music.

So Siri generally works better when controlling Apple apps, because the integration is built in. Maybe that's part of the issue you are having?

squareswordfish t1_iyaiqei wrote

It worked pretty well for me until a few months ago (maybe when I updated to iOS 16?). Always mostly understood me even though I’m not a native English speaker and it was always able to do the simple things I asked for (for example, setting timers, turning off alarms, calling someone, opening apps, etc).

Now, the experience is much worse for some reason and weirdly I don’t see other people talk about my problem specifically. I always see complaints about it not understanding requests, not being able to do simple stuff, etc but for me it just straight up ignores me lol.

It appears as soon as I say “hey siri”; it understands my request very well and everything I said appears on the screen. Then, it shows the thinking animation with the spinning circles and after a moment it goes away without giving any answer. It’s so weird and it turned completely useless after this problem started appearing.

andrew_armstrong t1_iyajlm1 wrote

Just be careful! Unicorns and especially baby ones can be “handy!” when it comes to stabbing!

_alex_r_ t1_iyat7yb wrote

The most basic things in the world are utterly impossible for Siri.

"Hey Siri, read this web page for me." NOPE. She can't recognize text on the web.

And when I say, "Hey Siri, give me directions to Taco Bell," she says, "Which Taco Bell do you mean?" and is offering me the choice between one that's two miles away and one that's 35 miles away. GEE I WONDER WHICH ONE.

DLiltsadwj t1_iyazm1l wrote

I hate it when Siri cannot answer how many square miles the state of Florida is without telling me to turn on location services.