Submitted by markaznar t3_z8qtz6 in iphone

So today tried uncapping the screen refresh rate to 120hz on my 13 pro max and oh boy, does it significantly reduce the battery life by a lot.

Is this normal? I always thought it would only increase battery consumption by around 5 percent? I only read socials, email, and web browse. This is a bit disappointing, so I am capping it back to 60hz

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

paszti t1_iycvui4 wrote

What does "significantly" and "a lot" exactly means? My 14P has enough battery life for a whole day easily - which is more than enough. I wouldn't give up 120Hz to have a better battery life than this.

markaznar OP t1_iycxbpq wrote

Battery decreases around 10 to 15 percent so I am turning it off as battery is life

paszti t1_iycxwhw wrote

That is a significant indeed. I understand your point. Although I have a charger everywhere: at home, in my car, in my office, plus I have 2 powerbanks and an extra charger I can pick up if I go somewhere else. As long as I stay in the civilization with electricity there is very little chance to run out of battery :D

TWYFAN97 t1_iydu082 wrote

Yeah if it’s that significant OP’s got an issue with his phone. So many people get through a full day on the Max no problem even two days with 120hz on. Now if OP was talking about the smaller Pro things would make more sense.

serge_kills t1_iyctltc wrote

Yes

markaznar OP t1_iyctnzp wrote

This is sad.

−1

serge_kills t1_iyd2rm1 wrote

This is normal. Every intensive tasks used battery a lot.

markaznar OP t1_iyd2yrg wrote

I’m capping it back to 60hz as the battery drain is too substantial for my use case. I only use the phone for web browsing, socials, emails, and need the best battery life possible.

rakiya t1_iydlmre wrote

I'm curious. Why do need 120hz if you're not actually watching content that's high definition? Do you suffer from flicker or screen artefacts or something?

markaznar OP t1_iydltrn wrote

Scrolling on safari with 120hz is easier on the eyes, and makes me not get migraines.

rakiya t1_iydx56x wrote

So on all previous phones you've suffered from migraines? Really?

TWYFAN97 t1_iydmnyc wrote

Sounds more like a batter issue. I have the 14 Pro Max and with moderate usage with 120hz on its often a 2 day phone. If it’s an intense day it’s all day late into the night. 13 Pro Max should be about the same. Keep in mind though high brightness and whatever your doing can cause the drain the phone doesn’t lock to 120hz so that should help it last a long time like it does for most.

markaznar OP t1_iydmwsl wrote

Turn off 120hz and you’ll have even more battery life. This goes for both my 13 and 14 pro max.

−1

TWYFAN97 t1_iydnsoy wrote

Yeah I wouldn’t do that to a high end phone especially when I’m already getting crazy battery with it on. You also shouldn’t be seeing much of an improvement locking your phone to 60hz since because it’s a variable 120hz for example with the 10-120hz refresh rate the phone can depending on what your doing go well below 60hz to save even more battery life it is more practical to leave the feature on to save battery life.

Again if your having battery issues with 120hz ProMotion on that is not normal. The battery tests have been done with the feature on and the Max phones have easily beaten out android counterparts and obviously other iPhones. See what else could be the issue since most people can get 2 days if not a bit longer with the Max.

markaznar OP t1_iydo409 wrote

Nope. Turn off 120 hz and see the difference for yourself. Borderline denial, lol.

TWYFAN97 t1_iydof8d wrote

Testers have literally done this and the difference is negligible. If anything some tasks when the phone is locked to 60hz will use more battery since the phone with ProMotion 120hz off can go below 60hz. It very much sounds like an actual problem with your phone if you’re seeing significant drain with the feature on, get it checked by apple.

markaznar OP t1_iydp0fg wrote

It DOESN’T lock to 60! It moves from 10 to 60 as opposed to 10 to 120. Just try it yourself and see the difference!

I also thought it was negligible difference until I tried it myself on both my 13 and 14 pro max.

The 14 pro max is a touch better as it drives the screen down to 1hz, but it is still a significant difference, nevertheless.

Stop the YouTube koolaide

−1

TWYFAN97 t1_iydrpab wrote

It DOES lock to 60hz apple states this themselves. Maybe get off your self inflated high horse and come to the realization your phone HAS a problem. You should get through an entire day of heavy use and easily 2 days if your not using it as much. The 14 Pro Max only goes down to 1hz when the AOD is used.

markaznar OP t1_iydrv6n wrote

Lmfao. Sure, it locks to 60hz? Sure sure lol, no comment. Thanks

Maybe learn to READ before you embarrass yourself more?

Apple’s ProMotion displays can dynamically scale the refresh rates from 10Hz to 120Hz to match the task you’re doing. You can save battery life, to some extent, by limiting the display to 60 frames per second from the “Settings” app. Keep in mind that this option doesn’t turn off or disable the ProMotion technology.

https://www.howtogeek.com/765524/how-to-limit-promotion-displays-to-60hz-on-iphone-and-ipad/

TWYFAN97 t1_iydtu2n wrote

Ok thanks for proving your an idiot who doesn’t want to admit there’s obviously something wrong with your phone. You’ve been embarrassing yourself this whole time lol!

[deleted] t1_iydu7e8 wrote

[removed]

TWYFAN97 t1_iydub2h wrote

Stop deflecting how you are acting on me get yourself some help and figure out your phone issues.

markaznar OP t1_iyduq3r wrote

You are a joke! And now going out of your way to send me a Reddit crisis support. Just learn to read. Enough said

Short_Guy1104 t1_iydunxz wrote

Dude get off the guy clearly you got issues and your phones triggering you! 🤣 Maybe like he said get your phone checked out.

markaznar OP t1_iydvdxb wrote

Nope. Phones are fine. It is normal that the battery life should decrease with the option turned on. I have 9 friends over, and we just tested them, and yeah, there is an increase in battery drain which can be clearly seen whilst scrolling safari.

For the record, the battery life on either modes is stellar, but to dismiss the increase in battery consumption while on 120hz is just outright denial. I am still able to get two days worth of battery on 120hz, but then again, I prefer battery life over promotion. To each his own