Submitted by onetouchhh t3_zokhcn in iphone

I just got my iPhone 14 Pro and seriously hate the image overprocessing. Every selfie turns out ugly and overly sharpened versus what you see on the camera. Only because of this, I'm seriously considering returning my new iPhone. I compared the selfies I just took on iPhone XS, and all selfies look so much better and are not distorted. I heard iPhone 13 also has the same problem though. What's the latest iPhone that doesn't have the issue of overprocessing images? iPhone 12?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

poastfizeek t1_j0nf4j7 wrote

iPhone 11 series, one of the many reasons I’m holding fast to it.

onetouchhh OP t1_j0nfamp wrote

Do the iPhone 12 series still have the same issue?

MrSolidSht t1_j0p1aqr wrote

It’s a shame that the pictures I get out of my (non-pro) 11 aren’t very sharp or detailed compared to the newer models. Especially action shots, like when riding my bike

JerichoRamirez t1_j0njgty wrote

Why not shooting in ProRAW or use another camera app?

[deleted] t1_j0pcpiv wrote

ProRAW is available for front camera? Don't think so.

0000GKP t1_j0npklq wrote

1. It was just getting started with the 12 and not as bad as it is now, so you might find that one tolerable.

arochains1231 t1_j0of0c6 wrote

The 11 series I believe (11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max). I love the cameras on my 11 Pro Max and I will be sad when I'm forced to upgrade eventually.

[deleted] t1_j0pclot wrote

Had the same on 13 and 13 pro, went back to 11 pro because of that. IMHO 11 series was the last one without this issue.

Mythrol t1_j0nq8sz wrote

If this is something that really bothers you then you might consider shooting in pro raw.

onetouchhh OP t1_j0ov7pe wrote

I read that tip somewhere as well but the problem with pro raw is that file sizes become way too large unfortunately. :( And, I noticed that it still has the same problem. Maybe just slightly better.

Mythrol t1_j0pld22 wrote

That’s not how pro raw works. Apple doesn’t apply any sharpening to a raw photo. It’s in the name. It’s literally exactly what the sensor sees without any post processing.

Gorthaurl t1_j0tatve wrote

They do apply sharpening and noise reduction to proraw files though.

TWYFAN97 t1_j0nnlda wrote

Never had any issues with processing and I’ve used nearly every iPhone and tend to critique image quality. If your having issues you first have to play with photographic styles. If all else fails claim a defective phone under warranty. I’ve been more than impressed with the 14 Pro Max.

Gorthaurl t1_j0otfk6 wrote

If you don’t have any issues you just don’t know what to look for.

TWYFAN97 t1_j0rmnsq wrote

I very much know what to look for and the vast majority of people don’t have an issue. Those that do haven’t set their preferences with photographic styles or may actually have defective hardware. I’m constantly impressed with some of the results I get and so are many reviewers big and small. People with issues tend to be the loudest.

Gorthaurl t1_j0t91og wrote

Just look for noise reduction comparison between raw and proraw and then come back.

TWYFAN97 t1_j0taqvv wrote

I’ve used both depending on the situation and you can’t really compare the two. ProRaw is meant to be edited and capture as much detail the sensor can handle. While when using the standard format day to day it captures more than enough detail and quality images without much fuss and ProRaw I reserve for specific shots. For most people they shouldn’t need to use ProRaw with how good the standard mode can be.

Gorthaurl t1_j0tay1n wrote

So you don’t know proraw files have baked in sharpening and noise reduction that you can’t disable. That’s what people don’t like about iPhone photos

TWYFAN97 t1_j0tcqpz wrote

Most like iPhone photos just fine. It’s actually the standard photos that have baked in processing that some may or may not like and photographic styles can tweak that. ProRaw has minimal processing and in turn captures as much detail from the sensors as it can and the full 48MP photo if one so chooses.

Gorthaurl t1_j0te16m wrote

You still can’t get it. No one is talking about photographic styles.

I give up, have a nice day being wrong.

TWYFAN97 t1_j0teuuv wrote

I’m not wrong, your just very much misinformed here. ProRaw is simply not meant for point and shoot scenarios using default camera settings produce more than go enough shots in most cases and that’s that.

Gorthaurl t1_j0tf2qj wrote

The fuck you’re talking about? We’re talking about obnoxious lack of detail on the pictures. This is because the noise reduction is too strong as to never have any noise but killing detail and texture in the process.

This is impossible to remove or tone down in iPhone pictures, not even in proraw mode because this is baked in. Everything else you can modify, but not this.

The only way to not have the overdone noise reduction is to shoot raw, and I mean real raw, not that proraw nonsense.

TWYFAN97 t1_j0tfdtk wrote

There is no lack of detail unless of course you zoom in like crazy, like with any photo. I’ve never had much of an issue with noise reduction being to strong and I’m well versed in the camera world as it’s part of my job. I have heard of those with issues but for the majority of people it’s not a problem. I get a new iPhone every year and throughly use the cameras so I am very attuned to any improvements or issues that may be present.

Sounds like your phone may have an issue if you have a lack of detail in general with your photos.