Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

halocene_epic t1_ja0vso8 wrote

According to the article it was privately funded. So why do we care? Genuinely curious (pls don’t downvote).

garth_meringue t1_ja165kj wrote

"Gifts" of a certain size are often considered unethical and give the appearance of impropriety.

halocene_epic t1_ja18lbb wrote

I still don’t get the “outrage.” Seems like these are business trips for the future JC location with museum organization. If anything shouldn’t we be happy tax dollars weren’t spent?

−8

garth_meringue t1_ja19zs0 wrote

Jersey City politicians have arranged for a substantial amount of tax money to go to Pompidou. Now they are receiving gifts in return. They are also not being transparent. Hope this helps.

G_Funk_Error t1_ja2vw9j wrote

Because if there’s no conflict of interest, there should be no issue disclosing how it was funded. Period. Oh and Steve ran on a platform of complete transparency, so…

halocene_epic t1_ja3h8b3 wrote

Ok I get it now. They should just disclose. Thanks for the explanation and downvotes folks!

nasty_brutish_longer t1_ja1d103 wrote

We pay our officials to work for us. When someone else pays them--in cash or gifts or trips to Paris--our officials don't work for us anymore.

This trip is worrying because there's arguably legit reason for the mayor and a few councilmembers to visit Pompidou, even on the taxpayer dime. Yet this vanilla trip gets shrouded in secrecy. Makes it hard to forget we live in Hudson County.

jerseycityfrankie t1_ja2ypt3 wrote

I’m finding it delightfully hilarious that Ward C councilnaper Boggiano wasn’t invited or even told about the trip. The project is in his ward, his election was greatly aided by Fulop, but now Fulop has no further use for sleepy out of touch Boggiano and is dissing him.

nasty_brutish_longer t1_ja3f8bb wrote

I can see the conversation go like: Paris is a city of sophisticates and Uncle Rich will ruin EVERYTHING!

But l'm 99% sure Boggiano just couldn't be bothered to go.

Ilanaspax t1_ja505vm wrote

I would not be surprised if he simply opted out of the trip and is playing dumb.

EyesOnImprovement t1_ja3d7ok wrote

I wonder if that's why he wasn't at the last council meeting?

jerseycityfrankie t1_ja3pgsf wrote

For a certainty Bing would have never missed a council meeting. And he’d be up to speed on the Museum project too.