Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

munchlaxsleeps OP t1_jars24e wrote

objectimpermanence t1_jarylil wrote

That’s such an insane response from the police.

If a fire broke out in one of the buildings on that block, it’s easy to see how having all those cars blocking the street would impair the fire department’s ability to respond in a timely manner.

shootthemoon88 t1_jasla3a wrote

Tell the fire prevention office. They will do something about it

MiltonFriedmanSucked t1_jaru0j1 wrote

It's getting harder and harder to defend JCPD. I hear the shrug story from people all the time. You make 100k, get out of your fucking tank and do some civil service.

Unspec7 t1_jarw8me wrote

Might be wrong here, but didn't JC make the decision to separate parking enforcement jurisdiction from JCPD to Jersey City Division of Parking? If that is the case, can JCPD even do anything if they wanted to?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz12345 t1_jarzzzt wrote

Do you honestly think that the PD has no power over cars parked in the roadway? They are blocking lanes of travel. It’s not a parking violation - this is a traffic violation. The PA could be expected to participate if PD did anything, but this is not an overdue meter situation and it’s not their job. It is another clear indictment of the useless dolts wandering around in police cosplay.

Unspec7 t1_jaszbqz wrote

Police can only ticket the driver. You're right that PD can totally just ticket them for obstructing traffic, but that means you'd have to wait until the driver comes back at who knows when and then ticket them. Multiply by 10-15 cars? That's a lot of time just spent sitting around on tax payer money waiting for the drivers.

Edit: This is specific to JC, as JCPD cannot hand out parking tickets, only traffic tickets.

−7

objectimpermanence t1_jau5mlt wrote

If these cars were blocking the street in front of a police station, I’m sure the police would find a way to get the cars moved in a timely manner. Even if it’s ultimately the job of the Division of Parking, the cops would pull strings to make sure the right people show up right away.

A bunch of cars blocking an entire street is a major public safety issue. They could get in the way of fire trucks and ambulances. The police shouldn’t just throw their hands up in the air and say “not my job!” in response to something like that.

eight13atnight t1_jatprw1 wrote

Why would they wait. Just put the ticket on the windshield like a normal parking ticket

Unspec7 t1_jatrpya wrote

Moving violations are against the driver (and thus assigns points to their licenses, if applicable), not the vehicle, as they are punishing the direct actions of the driver. Parking tickets are tied to the vehicle, thus don't need to find the driver, as they are specifically punishing the vehicle itself and how it has been parked.

Edit: Keep in mind, this is a little unique to JC. JCPD doesn't have jurisdiction over parking offenses, so the only thing they can give someone is a traffic ticket. Parking offenses are handed out by JC Division of Parking.

jcskunk t1_jatu3kx wrote

They absolutely have jurisdiction. They have just been boycotting doing anything about parking or traffic because they just don't feel like it.

Unspec7 t1_jatujhs wrote

They do not have jurisdiction over parking violations. Not trying to flame you or anything, but think about it for a second:

The democratically elected city council/mayor (their "boss") specifically takes away their jurisdiction and gives it to a separate department. Do we really want to create a precedent where the police department just usurps the decision of the council/mayor and re-assumes jurisdiction? That doesn't seem like a good idea.

−1

Byzantium-1204 t1_jaslwio wrote

They tell you to call parking when there are issues. I believe they are separate entities

Unspec7 t1_jattogw wrote

Yep. They're on the same "level" as police and firefighters.

>Department of Public Safety comprises the Police Department, the Fire Department, the Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security (O.E.M.), Parking Enforcement, and Fire Prevention

The_GreatGonzy t1_jatsnzd wrote

I had a domestic violence incident in my home and they refused to remove me ex from my apartment even though she put her hands on me and was drunk / high out of her mind. Mind you, she broke my phone, harassed me the following morning and couldn’t even call them back.

TheYesManCan t1_jarx4ym wrote

That woman hitting your car was insane, I was rooting for y'all

ohnjaynb t1_jarwij5 wrote

Don't call the police. Call a tow company directly.

YetiSherpa t1_jas054m wrote

My understanding is tow companies don't come out unless the vehicle is ticketed.

CRDLEUNDRTHESTR t1_javw4w5 wrote

But what about if they're a home owner and someone is parked in front of their driveway? That doesn't seem like a situation where the car needs a ticket, or am I wrong?

FinalIntern8888 t1_jawpneh wrote

Home owner/tenant needs to call JCPA to ticket, then they can tow

CRDLEUNDRTHESTR t1_jawq368 wrote

Oh wow this sounds like such a complicated drawn out process... Imagine if you're in a rush.

YetiSherpa t1_javwwo5 wrote

Pretty sure that unless you have a tow company on retainer they will not tow upon request if the vehicle is not ticketed.

eight13atnight t1_jatpd9p wrote

Let the air out of their tires. They don’t want to move anyways