Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mooseLimbsCatLicks t1_irudzo2 wrote

Lol journal squared is basically sitting on top of the PATH station. You won’t have to walk far at all. The light rail is a different train system that doesn’t go to journal square. That’s a great deal for you, enjoy!

ng300 t1_iruh68u wrote

Thanks so much! How far is the light rail? I can’t seem to figure it out…

Edit; nvm! Instead of light rail I can just take the path to exchange place!! Would you consider that safe?

mooseLimbsCatLicks t1_iruw692 wrote

Yep, safe and you won’t need light rail for your commute. Just path to nyc. That will be a piece of cake for you. Light rail you can catch downtown if you need it for some reason.

There is also via, which is a subsidized ride share system. 2 dollar rides if you want to go to west side , Bergen Lafayette or the heights.

Pro tip you can take it downtown if you set the address to near the jersey city medical center

[deleted] OP t1_iruetri wrote

[deleted]

ng300 t1_iruh709 wrote

Thanks so much for your input! This is noted!!

HappyArtichoke7729 t1_irwzu5t wrote

JSQ is hardly in the middle of nowhere. It's an extremely urban environment with almost everything available either on foot or by PATH train.

Piscataway is in the middle of nowhere.

Knobbies4Ever t1_irurug4 wrote

I agree with Moose - that's a great deal, go for it. You'll have the shortest walk ever to get to the PATH, and an apartment in a new building for rent I don't think you could match anywhere else in JC or equivalent neighborhoods in NYC.

If you're looking for bougie bars & restaurants, those are a 4-minute PATH ride away at Grove Street (plus everything in NYC a few minutes more on the PATH).

Around Journal Square you'll find excellent authentic food from many nations: India, Philippines, Egypt come to mind. Anyone who says "there's nothing around" has their eyes and mind closed.

HappyArtichoke7729 t1_iru9ugv wrote

Where did you read that it was in the middle of the nothing?

ng300 t1_iruah1s wrote

the only review on apartments.com lol and google reviews made it seem very unsafe (I am not familiar with Jersey City at all)

HappyArtichoke7729 t1_irubvqn wrote

It's a fine area, and you don't need a car AT ALL to live there.

ng300 t1_irud4w9 wrote

thank you :) I worry a lot about safety!

WooliesWhiteLeg t1_irujx32 wrote

The neighborhood is pretty safe plus JS2 is RIGHT on top of the path station so you’ll have Port Authority police milling around on top of the regular police department

ng300 t1_iruk6fq wrote

Ooh that’s fantastic- thanks again for the insight!! I mean where I live now definitely isn’t the best- I checked the crime rates and compared and I definitely live in a worse area currently lol!

WooliesWhiteLeg t1_irukj3o wrote

The path station attracts the homeless the same any warm, public place that’s open 24/7 would but I’ve never had any issues. Most people just want to stay safe and warm, not cause trouble.

mbastor24 t1_irunihb wrote

How did you get half rent? 👀

a_trane13 t1_iruyuer wrote

Sounds like they know somebody with the company, got an “affordable” housing rate with the building, or just getting $ help from someone. The first two I bc they said specifically for this building.

joejoeaz t1_irvotit wrote

I live in the area, not at Journal Squared specifically. There is a bit of a homeless issue in JSQ, but I don't think there's a ton of crime (unless I'm completely mistaken). I'm not sure who told you it's in the middle of nowhere, but it's not. It's next to/on top of a PATH station, and you can get to world trade center in 15 min, or midtown in 30 minutes. Also, as JSQ is the first stop on the 33rd st line, getting a seat on the train is easier than it would be at Grove St. or Exchange Place. If you like Indian food, India square has a billion options. Welcome to the neighborhood.

vocabularylessons t1_irvvss7 wrote

You’re mixing up a few things.

The Journal Squared residential building is right atop the PATH Journal Square train station. This is in the Journal Square neighborhood. The PATH trains run to FiDi (World Trade Center) and to Midtown (33rd St). The Hudson Bergen Light Rail is a separate system entirely that snakes along the waterfront in Jersey City before going into other towns - you don’t need this at all to get into NYC. FYI there are two “Exchange Pl” stations, one for PATH and one for HBLR. You never have to leave PATH to get into NYC.

Journal Square as a neighborhood is relatively safe, especially around the train station. Some weirdos but less than in NYC. But it’s a city so stay aware of your surroundings as you would in NYC. And you’re very close to India Square if you ever want good food and groceries. Decent amount of activity in that immediate station area, plenty of police, but for night life you have to take the PATH into Downtown JC or NYC.

ng300 t1_irw5ytc wrote

Thank you!! And I ask about the light rail to get to downtown JC :)))

vocabularylessons t1_irxigk8 wrote

Take either PATH WTC or 33rd St line from JSQ to Grove St for Downtown, take WTC line to Exchange Place for the waterfront.

You don’t need the light rail to get to Downtown. The Hudson Bergen Light Rail snakes through North Bergen, Union City, Hoboken, Jersey City, Bayonne. It never comes close to Journal Square.

WooliesWhiteLeg t1_irujked wrote

My wife and I have a one bedroom in a nice building with high ceilings, a balcony, and a view of the New York skyline and we only pay 2100.

Still though, if you can deal with the swarms of lanternfly bugs outside the building during spring and summer, it seems silly to not jump in this deal you’ve got

ng300 t1_irujsw6 wrote

Omg wow can you share where!!? I mean if I have to only pay an extra $100 a month for your kind of apartment that’s not too shabby either!!!

WooliesWhiteLeg t1_irukcwz wrote

We’re about a 15 minute walk away from the path though, near the reservoir/Pershing park.

I don’t super want to dox myself here but I’ll send you a private message

ng300 t1_irukyvd wrote

Totally understandable! Feel free to PM and delete this comment if you’d like! I appreciate the help :)