Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

badquarter t1_ixhr8ml wrote

I drove to school at NJIT years ago and this made me late to morning class dozens of times. It was infuriating because there was no real schedule. Almost lost it when I was the first car to get cut off like the Chevy is in this picture haha.

cC2Panda t1_ixhz484 wrote

Water access supersedes land access by law, I think they only have to give 30 minute or an hour notice but most of the time they try to do it not during rush hour and schedule further ahead IIRC. I used to be late periodically because of asshole ships forcing the portal bridge to open and holding up multiple trains full of people. Once the portal bridge got stuck and we were stuck between Newark Broad and Secaucus for 3 hours or so.

JCwhatimsayin OP t1_ixhsway wrote

Yeah, it was a good reminder that it's a drawbridge. I sometimes run in Kearny during lunch and don't always leave myself much time to get home for afternoon meetings! I could easily get stuck on the Kearny side.

214ObstructedReverie t1_ixihegc wrote

I got caught at the Wittpenn bridge a few times. Luckily, the new one is much higher, so they don't have to open it as often.