Submitted by toastmaven t3_z6c2om in jerseycity

Second post of the day but am I supposed to hail the buses here like a taxi to get them to stop for me?? Today is the second time they've just driven right past me while I was standing in the shelter. Not counting the times it just hasn't shown up at all

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ScumbagMacbeth t1_iy0ljhs wrote

You should stand where the driver can see you and wave. There are multiple bus lines that people wait for, and some people use a bench or shelter to just sit, and they're not going to stop to find out if those in the shelter are potential passengers or not. So you need to make it clear to the driver that you would like to get on this bus.

kushNation141 t1_iy0p2i7 wrote

too many people just randomly hang out in some of the bus awnings / shelters. so drivers got tired of stopping and no one getting on. if you want to get on the bus you need to motion to them so they know you are not just loitering

PICHICONCACA t1_iy0oiij wrote

Have you tried walking in front of them? I’m not even trying to be funny but I had to do that when I attended NJCU.

vd8456 t1_iy0p066 wrote

It has also happened to me. You have to be very aggressive with your wave and get on the street so they see you and have to stop.

KenseiSport t1_iy0wrt7 wrote

You gotta flag them down or else they won’t stop.

reputationStan t1_iy124x4 wrote

Yea you’re gonna have to flag them down. What bus?

burrito__supreme t1_iy1p8gn wrote

yes. it’s stupid but you do have to flag the bus down here for some godforsaken reason.

toastmaven OP t1_iy0k5a3 wrote

I guess maybe they're just full? But wow being full at 3:30 on a Sunday is rooough

baddaddu t1_iy1tf5a wrote

Both hands in the air waving desperately. I have been ignored too many times to take any chances.

TrafficSNAFU t1_iy63aaw wrote

I just throw my hand up and that usually suffices. Interestingly, when I rode an MTA bus for the first time in the City, they thought I was nuts for doing that.

toastmaven OP t1_iy666zb wrote

Yeah I've only heard of one other city with this system

TrafficSNAFU t1_iy9hg3h wrote

When I rode a WMATA bus down in DC I don't remember how I hailed them if at all.