Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Sonatarhia t1_j1m6t58 wrote

How much does non-owner insurance cost? Does it cover you when you're renting cars too? Where do you get it from?

ABrusca1105 t1_j1m79z8 wrote

It varies by your driving record and state but I paid $379/year. In 26M with an accident and 1 moving violation 5 years ago. In NJ they told me no new policies but only converted existing policies.

They also ask you how many miles you expect to drive in that time frame. I think I said 500 mi for 6 months or something like that.

Yes, it covers when you rent. I'm pretty sure regular car insurance does as well. That's the point of non-owner insurance basically. It also keeps continuous coverage for you. If you sell your car and you go without insurance, then when you get a new car eventually your insurance will basically be like you went uninsured, but maybe not as bad. I bet this is saving me money in the long run. Especially if I ever rent and insurance is going to be more than that.

If you have a clean driving record and you're in your 30s, 40s or 50s, you would probably be significantly less money than I paid. It was like a quarter of what my real insurance was when I had a car.