Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

kushNation141 t1_j1hidiv wrote

no what we need is stricter penalties for pieces of sh!t who break the law, especially using violence. $#@! 3 strikes and all that hand holding BS.

RollinRibs25 t1_j1iwfvd wrote

Its also already a felony to assault an nj transit employee if thats not stopping them then your dumbass argument is invalid.

kushNation141 t1_j1j0oew wrote

yea and it goes to court and they get off on some sort of technicality or some BS about first time offense.

RollinRibs25 t1_j1j2fgc wrote

Its called conditional discharge. You should probably read up some before you go spewing out of your closet consertative ass.

−8

kushNation141 t1_j1j8dpp wrote

very far from any part of politics let alone a conservative. but also not some sucker liberal who falls for everything as things crumble around them.

SyndicalistCPA t1_j1i7lbh wrote

Stricter penalties doesn't prevent crime. Access to social welfare, education, opportunities, and actual rehabilitation prevents crime.

kushNation141 t1_j1iuevm wrote

thats the logic that has us where we are now. They tried being lenient. and this is the end result, and next generation will be even more ignorant and violent.....But keep playing social expeirments

SyndicalistCPA t1_j1nim9c wrote

Where have they tried being lenient? Where has rehabilitation been tried here? Social safety nets have been eroded since Reagan. What are you even talking about?

RollinRibs25 t1_j1iw5of wrote

Kush nation wants stronger penalties, okay officer smokey

−6

No-Practice-8038 t1_j1htgsq wrote

I rely on public transit to move about. Half the bus drivers in my experience shouldn't be behind the wheels. Adding guns to the mix would be a disaster.

Shout out to the bus drivers of the 81x line most of ya are great!

jcnative OP t1_j1huw6p wrote

To be clear I'm not seriously advocating arming drivers, I put that in the headline after the other video earlier in the week where the driver did have a gun.

−2

Kowabungaaa1 t1_j1i1m9w wrote

This was very unclear until your clarifying post. Thank you.

Morkitu t1_j1j3i6u wrote

There needs to be tougher penalties for assaulting transit workers, because you are putting an entire vehicle or system of people at risk when you harm the person driving the bus, or train, or the officers in charge of passenger safety.

Whether it's loud, unruly teens, fare evaders, or ratchet, ghetto hoodrats (like those in the video), a message needs to be sent to avoid accidents, or other passengers from being harmed.

RollinRibs25 t1_j1j7tsl wrote

"Ghetto hoodrats" Sounds like yuppie insecurity to me

−15

diaperbuyer t1_j1jtswd wrote

The dumbass bitch hitting the driver should get life. F*ck that assaulting a transit driver absolutely is a terrorist action. Just think if some hopped in that driver seat.
Let this happen on a bus I'm on and I'm beating the shit out of whoever is doing it. Absolutely wrong. Drivers SHOULD have mase and an emergency button to push. It's getting ridiculous.

InvaderMixo t1_j1j6yeg wrote

We need to enforce morality at a jury level among many other things. If you're in a case with aggravated assault or some type of manslaughter, consider who is the just person in the case. Do NOT go off of who happened to have a weapon or who ended up on top. Use your conscience to determine who was the real attacker. Don't convict people defending themselves. Don't convict the victims of crime. When I do my virtual jury duty and if I get that NJ transit driver's case, I'm going to ponder all the evidence, but I'll withhold a guilty verdict until I'm blue in the face. I don't care how long of hung jury as long as the truly innocent are protected.

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_j1ifa9w wrote

Yea, let's let the general public murder people for simple assault. Great idea.

mrk_is_pistol t1_j1ljcc2 wrote

open carry states seem to handle it pretty decently. When you know the next person is probably strapped you approach the situation a little differently

kulgan t1_j1okwvn wrote

Uhhh

>A 2022 analysis found that states with permitless carry laws saw a 22 percent increase in gun homicide for the three years following the law’s passage.

>A 2019 study found that right-to-carry laws were associated with a 29 percent increase in firearm workplace homicides.

There's a ton more there in the source.

[deleted] t1_j1qdpsz wrote

1. “Homicide” includes legal, self-defense killing, I hope you realize? Also, is 22% / 3 years significant? Sounds like a minor increase.
  2. I don’t care. Don’t beat the skulls of working class bus drivers if you don’t want them to defend themselves. You go on and side with the perpetrators of violent crime, I guess.

kulgan t1_j1qgygg wrote

Spectacularly bad faith reading of my comment. Well done. Here's what I was responding to:

> open carry states seem to handle it pretty decently.

Go ahead and provide some data to support that any significant percentage of those homicide increases were "legal, self defense."

I am both against fighting bus drivers and deputizing anyone and everyone to execute people who do something that they decide is beyond the pale. Like you. I don't trust you to murder people at will if they offend you.

mrk_is_pistol t1_j1r30to wrote

it’s not about murdering people that offend you or being a vigilante. It’s about knowing the next person has a weapon and will defend themselves if 6 ignorant fucks try to harm you while you’re doing your job. It’s called a deterrent. You’re a keyboard warrior/activist that expects the judicial system to carry out justice when it’s historically awful.

Fucking aktually head ass, let me google these statistics I don’t know dick about to make a point that’s moot.

The real question should be why did this black, minority bus driver feel the need to carry a weapon while doing his job, which by the way is a public service offered to people.

kulgan t1_j1r5ef3 wrote

The judicial system is historically awful. So is vigilante justice. Are we talking about this one instance or the idea that open carry states have significant increases in killings after they change their laws? I disagree with idea that "open carry states seem to handle it pretty decently." I am against people being killed.

I don't really have an opinion on this bus situation other than that it looks bad. Both the woman and the bus driver had what looked like opportunities to stop the fight and de-escalate. The guy pulled the woman off the bus driver (after waiting too long) and then tried to de-escalate, and defended himself without looking like he was trying to deal out punishment. I don't know what happened before or after. Was this the bus driver who shot the people running away from him?

[deleted] t1_j1qhkp9 wrote

Me asking “Is 22% / 3 years significant? Sounds like a minor increase” is a spectacularly bad faith reading of you sharing those exact stats…

Got it.

Don’t quit your day job.

Edit: The only person acting in bad faith is you claiming that I want to “murder people who hurt my feelings”. That is such a childish, braindead comment.

−1

kulgan t1_j1qmbnr wrote

22% is significant, yes. It's not inflation, we don't expect it to go up every year.

I didn't say anything about hurting your feelings.

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_j20bndq wrote

They don't. Here are the states with the highest violent crime rates since 2020

Alaska

New Mexico

Tennessee

Arkansas

Arizona

Louisiana

Missouri

South Carolina

South Dakota

Michigan

With the exception of city and locale ordinances, every single one of them has open carry without a permit for handguns except South Carolina, which requires a permit. Every single one of them also has open carry without a permit for long guns except Tennessee, which permits them only while hunting.

[deleted] t1_j1l3bec wrote

Unironically this.

How about you don’t beat other people’s brains for several minutes, if you don’t want to risk getting shot or stabbed over it, /u/DirectorBeneficial48?

−1

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_j20bttm wrote

Because I'd rather live in a society with laws and punishments, not vigilante justice. Sorry you're so very stupid that you think the wild, wild west is the admirable way to live. Remind me what the average life span back then was?

[deleted] t1_j20fupi wrote

Sounds good. Where were the police and good samaritans in both of these videos?

Also, defending yourself in the moment, is not vigilante justice. Nobody said to hunt them down later.

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_j20yy1d wrote

There's a whole host of other ways to reduce crime other than having cops everywhere or giving everyone guns. Mainly because neither of those two solutions actually do anything to lessen crime.

And what he did was literally not defense. They were running away when he pulled it out. He could've not shot at them. This is probably why he's going to be in deep shit and not getting off free.