Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Bada__Ping t1_j8jfqcy wrote

You mean using public safety and children as bargaining chips shouldn't be allowed?!

−6

bastard_swine t1_j8k7eku wrote

It's actually the opposite, teachers' passion for education and care for their students is typically held against them to discourage them from striking and demanding better conditions, hence why teaching is one of the most underpaid professions requiring a graduate degree and there is a dire shortage across the country. As someone going into education, I think more teachers need to realize their empathy is being taken advantage of and realize we can only care for students as much as their taxpayer parents do, which as it stands is very little.

AnyRound5042 t1_j8jpz4m wrote

What about using made up public safety and made up children as bargaining chips in online arguments?

ShawshankExemption t1_j8ku2h3 wrote

These are literally teachers, the children aren’t made up. They are the students.

AnyRound5042 t1_j8mfujk wrote

Are the children in the room with us right now?

−1

ShawshankExemption t1_j8mmnjf wrote

Actually no, the kids are at home because their teachers walked out and the district screwed them.

−1

AnyRound5042 t1_j8mw8y1 wrote

So, just to be clear, you want worse conditions for both the kids AND the people tasked with keeping them safe or is it only the teachers who should have bad conditions? I just want to make sure I understand your position

ShawshankExemption t1_j8mx5wh wrote

I’m saying I want the legislature to give teachers unions alternative tools, and coerce districts in alternative ways, to get to an agreement, without forcing kids out of the class room.

Bada__Ping t1_j8jqfbv wrote

Ah yes, the old "There is 0 need for any police & there are no children in the schools that the teachers on strike are employed at" strategy. Bold.

−11