Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Mission_Albatross916 t1_jcbfc6y wrote

How does snow ruin ice? I’m fascinated by ice fishing. Sometimes I see people and vehicles on that reservoir in Cheshire on days it barely seems cold enough to wear a coat and I go home and look up “ice fishing pickup falling into ice” and, boy oh boy, there are a lot of results

kidjupiter t1_jcc8rto wrote

I am guessing they might be referring to how deep snow “sinks” the ice because of its weight? Water seeps up through ice fishing holes, cracks, and the edges of the ice and soaks the bottom layer of the snow making a slushy mess for anyone trying to walk on it. ATVs and snowmobiles make it even worse by rutting it up, which then refreezes.

My definition of “snow ruining ice” is when I can’t ride my bike on the ice anymore because the snow is too deep.

cokane_88 t1_jchas14 wrote

Makes walking around in slushy deep wet cold a lot more work and it's more dangerous because you can't see the quality of the ice you are walking on it hides old fishing holes.

Mission_Albatross916 t1_jchav38 wrote

Yikes! It looks so calm, but ice fishing is full of adventure

rizub_n_tizug t1_jchjidx wrote

It also sucks when you dig out a spot to drill a hole, then the wind fills it with snow every ten minutes lol

Mission_Albatross916 t1_jchjn5c wrote

Is it relatively easy to catch fish? And how do people have little wood stoves on the ice

rizub_n_tizug t1_jchufyb wrote

If conditions are right and you set up at the right depth and structure, yeah its like pitch and catch. And to keep warm! 90% of the heat goes up not down. You’ll have a small puddle around the stove but you’re not gonna melt a hole in the ice lol. 3-4” is safe for a grown man to walk on, 6-8 is safe for snowmobiles, 14+ you can drive a full size pickup on

kidjupiter t1_jcijhuc wrote

What really sucks is shoveling off a hockey rink and then having an ice fisherman chop holes in the middle of it.