Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

LetMeSleepNoEleven t1_itpicb6 wrote

The hijab itself did not kill her, so the analogy to the police who killed George Floyd is not apt. She too was killed by police.

It would be like naming a day “$20 counterfeit bill day” in his memory.

I agree the naming of this day is inappropriate

HearingAppropriate46 OP t1_itpip9v wrote

It is, the hijab is the reason why she was killed, just like police brutality killed GF

−16

LetMeSleepNoEleven t1_itpixo8 wrote

No. She was killed by police brutality, as he was killed by police brutality.

For Floyd, it was because of a $20 alleged counterfeit bill; for Amini it was because of a hijab.

In both cases the police are the killer. In one the hijab was the prompt and in the other the $ was the prompt.

So the hijab is analogous to the $, not to the police. The police are analogous to the police.

LochnessIntelChief07 t1_itpqiej wrote

Comparing police brutality in the US to police brutality in Iran, a totalitarian theocracy, is ignorant at best.

LetMeSleepNoEleven t1_itqubo1 wrote

This is just how analogy works. They made the analogy. I pointed out the flaw, analogy-wise.

In any case, one can make analogues between two things in different systems. There’s nothing wrong with that. In each case, police killed a citizen without cause.

The-Shattering-Light t1_itpu1el wrote

No it’s really not.

US police kill with impunity members of many minority groups.

−3

LochnessIntelChief07 t1_itpvph6 wrote

You’re right, it’s not “ignorant at best.” I was being diplomatic. Comparing US police to Irans religious police enforcing a dictators vision of sharia law, is fucking dumb.

−1