Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

coolpotato14 t1_itqw515 wrote

Well, I think the idea of this holiday is celebrating a woman's right to choose to wear her hijab in America. Apart from the rules of the religion or laws in other countries. To me, this holiday says that no one should be killed because they are wearing a hijab.

​

Edit: I do agree though that women should not be forced to wear a hijab. And I think the holiday is poorly named.

abluetruedream t1_itqzwge wrote

This is what has me so confused. I actually like the idea of a day recognizing the freedom of choice in wearing a hijab. But naming the day “hijab day” and putting it on her birthday makes it seem like she was killed for wearing a hijab not refusing to wear one. I actually had to go Google her name just to make sure I was thinking of the right person. The reference in a comment to George Floyd along with the name “Hijab Day” made me wonder if I had missed hearing about a women being killed here in the US by police for wearing a hijab.

On Ice Cream Day we celebrate by eating ice cream. On National Sibling Day we celebrate by telling mushy or embarrassing stories about our siblings. On Hijab day it would be natural to think it implies people should wear and appreciate the hijab more and have the freedom of religious expression. To put it on the birthday of a woman who was killed because she didn’t wear a hijab is really in poor taste. The optics are terrible and just confusing regardless of what the intention is.

coolpotato14 t1_iu0bn4k wrote

Yes I agree, the sentiment seems nice but once you see their reasoning behind the holiday it's fucked up.