Submitted by rob6748 t3_yjdhvn in massachusetts

For clarification: I'm outside of the range for any subsidized plans. I have been for a number of years. To be honest it's as though I've taken a pay cut. Every single year my plan gets more and more expensive. My yearly premium has consistently gone up by approximately $480. Shopping out the "cheapest" produces the same results. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to find cheaper plans? Or is everyone in the same boat here? I guess I'll just have to start chancing it and be uninsured...

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PolkaD0tMom t1_iun98hl wrote

This doesn't look like the Health Connector? Did you actually apply and get denied for subsidies for 2023?

Quirky_Butterfly_946 t1_iunbbme wrote

This is what the ACA has devolved into. I would try contacting someone at the HC and explain what your issue is and if they have any insight. Your employer does not offer health insurance? How many employees do they have? Are you self employed?

Unique-Public-8594 t1_iunf18w wrote

Chancing it with no health insurance is not a good idea. If none of these ideas work out well from others here, You’ll need to increase pay or cut back somewhere else in your spending.

−1

UncleCustard t1_iunh7vq wrote

It's always weird to me that you have to buy a product to be a member of this state. Or pay a fine. Which you can't afford, cuz if you could. You'd get health insurance.

rob6748 OP t1_iunij2n wrote

It's not. It's HSAinsurance.com. the cutoff for any subsidized plans is 300 percent of the federal poverty rate, which I am above.

I had the connector plans for years until I was kicked off once I passed that threshold.

stoplightrave t1_iunj6k4 wrote

The fine is half the cost of the cheapest plan, so in theory someone could afford the fine but not the plan. And the fine drops to $0 if your income is low enough.

I agree it's a pretty terrible system though, IMO the state should cover a basic plan for everyone, and if people want a fancier one, they can pay the difference.

[deleted] t1_iunjuxs wrote

I talked to Free Healthcare for All when I lost my parent's health insurance since they were laid off. Told them their income and they said you would have to pay for it out of pocket. I asked if there was anything else I could do and he said "nope". So much for "free" healthcare. The overwhelming solution seems to "get a job" but its not sustainable

−6

Dseltzer1212 t1_iunqvud wrote

Nope, I’m 69 years old and won’t go to to the doctor because my deductible is so high I cannot afford it. My wife still works and her insurance sucks

[deleted] t1_iunxmw7 wrote

Im not talking about myself omfg. Im talking about my family. I dont have anything to do with this. Just helping my family out. I mentioned myself bc I was dependent on theirs as an option

UncleCustard t1_iunz9jk wrote

It's insane. If the fine is $100 and the plan is $200 (just using easy numbers), than give me a plan that has half the coverage. Maybe a catastrophic only coverage plan. Give me something more than a way for the state to make money off those who didn't buy a product.

Codspear t1_iuo34g3 wrote

The way I dealt with this problem was to job hop to a job with better pay and benefits.

[deleted] t1_iuorpbv wrote

Hey, I’m in the same boat as you. Definitely CALL mass health connector. They will certainly have better pricing for you.

stoplightrave t1_iuou0lb wrote

I believe that's what the cheapest option usually is. As for making money, the fines go towards the subsidized plans for lower income. So the state's not exactly making money off of it, but they're still basically taking money from poor people to pay other poor people.

xXGreco t1_iuozm5v wrote

Better find a higher paying job, or pick up more hours.

−4

poprof t1_iup35za wrote

Not helpful I know - I’m just really frustrated we can’t get behind universal care in this country.

Maybe CA, MA and a few other states can start to fun a public option for its residents. MA Health blown up and available to everyone.

massivecatalyst t1_iupd7gp wrote

I sent through the same thing about 5 years ago, too much income for subsidized but too little to afford any plans and pay bills. I was uninsured for a few years and in that time went through Healthcare for the homeless for necessary treatment. They were very helpful. Hope things get better for you.