Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

robomassacre t1_iv2u7zk wrote

i typed out some stuff but no one cares anyways. People on the internet act like they are so perfect, so caring, virtue signaling like crazy, they are so empathetic and caring. But i know it is all bullshit. Because i drive on public roads. Nowhere do i see the amount of selfishness, narcissism, and lack of awareness and caring that i see while driving. No one gives a shit about the rules of the road, no one gives a shit about their fellow drivers, all they care about is themselves and their time and their lives are more important than anyone else's.
People will go right through an obvious red light, almost crash right into your car, and then give you the finger as if it's your fault. People will do 80 on the highway with the head and eyes looking down at the steering wheel (not the road) because they care more about their text messages than they do about other drivers on the road. It's disgusting and as a species i am really disappointed. I thought we were better than that.

mrsnrub77 OP t1_iv2wp46 wrote

OP. Thank you. You just underscored exactly what I’m talking about.

At heart, my original post was a plea for MassPike drivers to be more ‘polite’, so to speak - especially with respect to the driving lane and the passing lane.

I focused on that problem because I thought that, in the (admittedly unlikely) event that this reached people, it would be the change that would have the greatest impact. Put another way, I agree completely: I could have emphasized drivers’ unnecessary aggressiveness and/or lack of accountability, their recklessness, and a general lack of either self-awareness and/or empathy. I could’ve used failure to signal properly, or to use headlights and high beams properly, or any other number of things – each of which are typically only escalated when complained about, i. e. ‘Road rage’. However, one or two people adopting better Lane habits can really make a difference.

Having said that, again, I agree. I wasn’t writing this as idle chatter. I had something of an agenda.

I’ve never seen it this bad. It sucks because I’ve never had to drive more. I’m obligated to drive the length of the Pike 6, and sometimes 8 times a week. My risk of harm has increased dramatically. I hope people get the message. Thank you for acknowledging it.