Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

itallendsintears t1_ixi9c6k wrote

Absolutely this. I’m sorry for your struggles and your brother as well. Unfortunately, since we love to jump on the “next big thing” without solving current issues, I don’t expect this to change.

And I’m hardly a conservative…though I’m sure I’ll get lumped into a group for not going “all-in” to every feel good stupid idea

irishgypsy1960 t1_ixi9zbc wrote

Neither am I, not by a long shot. But he worked and paid both mass and us taxes for decades before he fell on such hard times. It’s not right.

itallendsintears t1_ixiaqk9 wrote

I was a homeless heroin addict in Boston for nearly a decade I completely get it trust me. I feel for both of you. Sincerely.

irishgypsy1960 t1_ixicw9e wrote

For him,, it began with trauma, which we share, and mental illness, then drugs. He’s not on drugs anymore. I’m glad you made it out. These Down voters, maybe they’ve never had these experiences. Also, it’s just easier to help people from a different culture. It’s less complicated and doesn’t demand examination of our fake meritocracy nor question one’s own good fortune.

itallendsintears t1_ixidjv1 wrote

You hit the nail on the head exactly. It’s easier, ultimately. And that’s why it’s preferred. Because they don’t have to get to close or look to deep.

irishgypsy1960 t1_ixie923 wrote

Have a happy thanksgiving. I’m grateful for this exchange.