Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pillbinge t1_ixjona7 wrote

I don't get why you keep jumping tracks. They don't, so the effort should be put into places that do allow for it. They aren't putting that effort in either. I bike by more places in Somerville, Cambridge, and Boston that are newer but weaker, worse looking, and probably future tear-downs in my own life. The buildings that aren't are ones built a long time ago and with better materials.

Why aren't places that build for multi-family complexes building ugly, dogshit, and flimsy places when they don't have the restrictions you're talking about? There's a reason the three places I mentioned are all within the same city. Expand those and get a real movement going. Not the "movement" you're laying out here.

3720-To-One t1_ixjrp1y wrote

Because those buildings STILL have to jump through tons of hoops to get built, because of all the restrictions, AND THAT MAKES EVERYTHING MORE EXPENSIVE!

Why are you not understanding this?

When you have to go through a gazillion different zoning board meetings, and hire lawyers, and go through a long and convoluted approvals process, it makes everything more expensive.

pillbinge t1_ixkx1y5 wrote

You keep bringing up topics in some rapid-fire manner and asking why I don't get something, when you might be having a hard time explaining what you mean. I do understand this. I just don't have the bland approach that you do that clearly isn't working at all.

I never said we should keep bureaucracy around. I can't stand it. At this point, you're arguing something I haven't said like I'm someone else, but showing that the real thing you value is dirt-cheap housing, when valuations in housing have primarily been hurt by financialization. Housing might have to get a bit more expensive at first. That's true of anything new that you start building. We need to build it back up again though.