Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] OP t1_iz49g9q wrote

We are looking to hire a neighbors son. 18 years old and we plan to pay $30/hour. We will not hire a landscaping company. Do you have any input at all regarding how to register this on taxes or will you insist we hire a landscaping company?

−1

Unique-Public-8594 t1_iz4fkbc wrote

“not available” was very misleading. Lying.

Check with r/legal but don’t lie.

Ok-Air7686 t1_iz4g4i6 wrote

You can hire the neighbors son as a contractor. He will essentially be a one man landscape company. You should ask for his tax ID number which is most likely just his SSN unless he sets up a business. Once your payments to him exceed $600 in a calendar year you will be required to issue a 1099 to him and report the payments to the government.

I work for a nonprofit in MA and we require all vendors working on our property to provide proof of liability insurance. This is especially important if he will be operating landscape and snow removal equipment on your property.

Ideally he should establish himself as a landscape company for both tax and liability reasons.

GeorgeGiffIV t1_iz4b9rk wrote

In that case, do it up like a 1099 if you guys don't want to have it ran as if they were an employee. Make sure the individual knows that they are responsible for paying out appropriate deductions at the end of the tax year. Or, under the table with a handshake and an understanding.

[deleted] OP t1_iz4kswg wrote

Perfect. Thank you. 1099 it is. We are a non profit and need to track use of funds.

Maronita2020 t1_iz4pa94 wrote

I wouldn't take advice from a person not known to be an attorney! I am NOT an attorney but if I was you I'd seek the advice of an attorney in order to not to go against the law as, I BELIEVE you can be on the hook if you don't follow the rules!