Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pastywhiterunner OP t1_j26iq9c wrote

I am looking forward to the greenery and beauty and would love to explore the trails and peaks out there. Are there any particular areas of the Appalachians that strike you as the best experience?

ImProbablyHiking t1_j26k1uf wrote

Easy proximity to the white mountains in New Hampshire. Other than the smokies, the best mountains on the east coast. Some views are just as striking than ones in the west, just different.

You gotta do the Franconia ridge. Or the full pemi loop if you are into backpacking.

Source: my username

pastywhiterunner OP t1_j26na0i wrote

I would love to get more experience with backpacking I’ve done the Ruby Crest in Nevada and getting really into the deep of the mountains sounds like a fun experience.

Lord-Eddard t1_j26sfrh wrote

I posted above but check out Baxter State Park if you have a few days or more for backpacking and can drive 4-5 hours. Katahdin can hang with a lot of the big bois out west. Trust me it’s worth the time and effort.

ImProbablyHiking t1_j28s5jq wrote

Gotta do the knife’s edge trail!

Lord-Eddard t1_j291isc wrote

Your user name checks out lol. The knife edge is the most epic hike I’ve ever done.

Shelburnite t1_j26jldl wrote

My Greylock is my fave place for a day hike. May not be Massachusetts but if you go north to the white mountains it's some of the bets hiking this side of the country but go prepared.

LionClean8758 t1_j26p08f wrote

pastywhiterunner OP t1_j26pgyu wrote

I would absolutely hike 48 peaks to get a patch and a dinner .

LionClean8758 t1_j26qqbg wrote

I believe it's one of those things where if you're doing it, you end up finding a great local community and naturally have something to talk about with each other. Just be safe! There's lots of news right now about inexperienced solo hikers taking on more than they could handle.

legalpretzel t1_j26yx2i wrote

Even experienced hikers get into trouble because the weather systems in the whites can be extremely unpredictable at times.

techorules t1_j276imq wrote

Just make sure you take the Whites seriously. Too many people don’t respect them and even when you do the conditions can change quickly and things can get a bit sketchy. Amazing up there though. Easily my favorite place on this planet.

Shelburnite t1_j27dyml wrote

i did that between 2012 and 2016. got a lot of hiking in and saw a lot of the out of the way peaks.

idiotintheburbs t1_j29r0ta wrote

The part of the Appalachian mountains in MA is called The Berkshires. In New Hampshire, they are the White Mountains. In Vermont, Green Mountains. I have never heard of them referred to as Appalachian - probably because the Appalachian mountains technically span from Newfoundland, Canada to Alabama. Not trying to be a nerdy stickler, just sharing the popular terms here.