Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PapayaJuice t1_j3a30wz wrote

I think there’s some confusion here when it comes to health insurance and being trans, which makes sense because navigating health care while trans is absolutely mind boggling. I’ve went through hell the last year navigating it myself, but I learned a lot.

Health insurance companies by law are required to cover treatments that are medically necessary which, if your doctor follows WPATH, is generally considered to be HRT at the bare minimum with sex reassignment surgery also being a commonly accepted necessary surgery. Having a blanket statement stating no services for treating gender dysphoria will be covered is illegal on the grounds of gender discrimination(often coincides with sex-based discrimination), flat out.

Now, how that works with Health Plans essentially being a processing plant, I’m not entirely sure. I would assume the company would take the role as the insuring party, but it seems complicated and a I can see why it would seem like a grey area when it comes to holding them to the same standards. I would be interested to see how this plays out.

I would also like to point out that cosmetic surgery is not always considered elective, at least in the way some commenters are saying. With many more procedures being deemed as medically necessary for transgender individuals, some on a case-by-case, many procedures such as laser hair removal, tracheal shaves, and some forms of FFS are falling under the umbrella. It’s the opinion of WPATH and much of the medical community that these are as elective as a facial burn victim getting reconstructive skin grafts are. People like to minimize this because its a weird middle ground between mental and physical issues, but these surgeries are often life-saving and have massive rates of improving the condition of the patient overall.

TLDR: this shit is complicated and we all know health insurance will always try to fuck you.

Sources:

swoldier_force t1_j390xny wrote

The Massachusetts connection is “Health Plans Inc., a Westborough company that administers Turbocam’s self-funded health coverage plan,”

This is another reason why healthcare shouldn’t be tied to employment.

Ilikereddit15 t1_j3cliod wrote

Company policy will prevail in this case, just like hobby lobby.

watravis2 t1_j39mowr wrote

Pretty sure they wouldn’t cover cosmetic surgery either. That’s not what insurance is for. It’s to help you if you’re sick or broken.

Newgidoz t1_j3d0m71 wrote

>It’s to help you if you’re sick or broken.

This is a case of treating gender dysphoria, so it's exactly what insurance is for

watravis2 t1_j3dtbn7 wrote

If gender is a social construct how can it be a medical issue?

Newgidoz t1_j3du59s wrote

"Gender" is a bit of an umbrella term

Things like gender roles/norms/expectations are social constructs

Gender identity is to the best of our knowledge an innate aspect of someone's neurology

When one's gender identity and sex don't align, that can cause clinically significant distress in the form of gender dysphoria that's treated by aligning them as much as possible/necessary

watravis2 t1_j3dwf3d wrote

Seems to me like it’s another layer of the entitlement complex in this country. I wanna be something else and you need to enable it to happen. What if i wanna be 6’9 and black? Is this a clinical condition if i get depressed because I’m 6’1 and white? I think you would just say I’m mentally ill. Getting hormone replacement or reassignment surgery changes neither your sex or your gender. We exist behind our eyes so identify as whatever you wish, but physically altering your body is just superficial window dressing that belongs in the same category as face lifts and breast augmentation. IMO

Newgidoz t1_j3dwnvg wrote

It's a condition that harms the health of the individual, and there's a treatment that helps improve the health of the individual

It's that simple

watravis2 t1_j3dthzo wrote

Now if you said it’s because they were mentally ill, I’ll buy that

[deleted] t1_j3f475j wrote

Healthcare should not be deny coverage based on religious beliefs.

Linux-Is-Best t1_j3gr4r3 wrote

Hello everyone,

First, a friendly reminder that it is perfectly OK to disagree with someone, and expressing a difference of opinion (disagreeing with someone) is not an attack.

Second, it is possible to do this without being disrespectful. Please do so. - Thanks.

ThisMasshole t1_j3ll59t wrote

Most "medically necessary" trans surgeries are cosmetic procedures. Any person can argue a part of their body they don't like causes mental anguish. Its all or nothing - companies shouldn't cover his breast augmentation while ignoring women who want augmentation for their self esteem (just a random example)

SaveCachalot346 t1_j3oi3lr wrote

You come so close to having a valid point and then you decide to misgender the woman.

Both surgeries should be considered medically necessary. I've never understood why people demonize trans people when these stories come up but never the insurance companies that actively work to cover as little as they can.

noodle-face t1_j39q31g wrote

Can non trans people receive that care if they wish? Doubt it, so therefore there's no discrimination.

They received a benefits package before employment and knew what they were getting into

−2

SmellsofElderberry25 t1_j3a2byu wrote

You don’t think the non-trans staff can get hormones or medically recommended surgeries? I bet they can. Turbocam is calling out a specific class of people and denying coverage. If the health plan rules said “Black people can’t have surgery to fix broken bones”, they would lose instantly.

noodle-face t1_j3ce9z8 wrote

The problem is around 'medically necessary '. I won't get into the trans debate but you're comparing a life saving surgery to that.

−1

SmellsofElderberry25 t1_j3cesgy wrote

I'm not trying to be flip, but do you know anyone who is trans? This is life saving surgery.

noodle-face t1_j3cewz1 wrote

Not personally but I've worked with several who are acquaintances. To be honest I don't know how it'd be lifesaving but accept I could be wrong.

SmellsofElderberry25 t1_j3cg1of wrote

I appreciate your openness to learning more.

Data indicate that 82% of transgender individuals have considered killing themselves and 40% have attempted suicide, with suicidality highest among transgender youth. (Source: NIH)

Gender dysphoria is a severe problem in the trans community and access to gender affirming care (which is supported by the major medical groups like the AMA) is the best way to treat it. This may include taking or blocking hormones, minor, or major procedures. As with any medical treatment, you work with a doctor and generally start with the least invasive/severe solution and continue treatment until you find some combination of things that works.

noodle-face t1_j3cj43v wrote

Interesting and sad numbers. I'd argue working at a religious company may not be ideal here.

seanwalter123 t1_j39rjr6 wrote

This is what happens when you’ve been coddled and given special treatment. Guarantee this insurance company is full of trans garbage in their “employee education”. Let them eat themselves.

−4

DoodMonkey t1_j3a6x8l wrote

Thank god this is happening.

−5

[deleted] t1_j392w6h wrote

Oh that company is fuq'd. If they had said nothing they would be better off, but let them think they have God on their side. God loves that one! That one never backfires.

−13