Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Lagomorph-dreams OP t1_j626oqm wrote

That’s interesting. I asked about it it a HIPAA sub as well and someone linked me to a law in MA. https://www.mass.gov/info-details/guide-on-the-disclosure-of-confidential-information-health-care-information

In reading the law, it seems like minors must give consent for care providers to release information relating to substance use disorders, sexually transmitted diseases, and a few other special conditions. Because diagnoses related to these conditions are kept within the general patient chart, I imagine this is why some providers are enacting policies limiting what parents can see without their teen’s consent?

Ok_Sorbet9577 t1_j6443fs wrote

My pediatrician office once my child turns 13 won’t allow my husband or I access to anything in his chart as of 13, even with his permission. He must have a separate email account and I’m only allowed to see billing information. I’m sorry I don’t feel my 13 year old should be 100% in charge of his health care. I never saw that law in Ma as I looked at a more federal level for laws. It’s amazing to me how many rights parents are losing to their kids more and more. As for people saying I have no right to my under age child’s medical records…f@&k you.. I’m responsible for my child legally and financially. If they have a substance abuse problem who will be paying and taking care of them…me…if they end up as a teen parent at 14 who is responsible for them…me….so yeah I have a right to know what my kids are up to. I will be checking that link you gave me thanks!

Lagomorph-dreams OP t1_j64dye8 wrote

Please do check it! I know what State HIPAA laws overrides Federal HIPAA law. So the MA law is what will be followed, even though it doesn’t seem entirely clear! Full disclosure: I’m not a parent. I work in healthcare and I’m trying to get a handle on policies around youth and their records. For what it’s worth, I agree with you!