Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Exciting_Giraffe159 t1_j61sgxa wrote

I believe 13 is the partners policy after that they have to sign for themselves and grant you permission.

Vegicide t1_j65qjk0 wrote

Same at atruis health / Harvard vanguard

Forgotten_Obsession t1_j625iy9 wrote

Happened with my eldest at 12. I noticed when I tried to confirm his annual appointment that year that he no longer appeared on my family portal page. I mentioned it while checking in at desk and receptionist said it happened automatically but she was able to easily re-authorize me and two years later he is still connected. I was not given any notification prior to it happening.

I dont know the specific law, but in this state 12 is the age when children are able to receive certain medical care without needing parental authorizations.

If you haven't already, just ask your child's Dr to reconnect you and, if necessary, ask your child to tell them it is okay. If your child refuses, ask yourself why they don't trust you with that info and work on your relationship with them.

Ok_Sorbet9577 t1_j64h8y5 wrote

My pediatrician office said my son can’t give permission at all to access his records. The only thing I can see is billing. They said my son wasn’t allowed to give his permission for me to access his care. I just don’t think 12 year old is old enough to make all medical decisions.

Forgotten_Obsession t1_j64wvwm wrote

You not being able to access notes from previous appointments and a 12 year old making all medical decisions are two completely different things. Are you the one taking your child to the appointments? Are you allowed in the exam room? Are you speaking to his Dr about concerns? Are you speaking to your child about their concerns and if they are comfortable with a recommended treatment plan? Then you are involved in the medical decisions. Whether you feel you should have the final say or not, your child should always be a big part of the conversation. Personally, I believe my child, even at 12, was entitled to the final say over what happened to his body. If you feel differently, that's between you and your family.

I am not here to debate bodily autonomy or right to privacy with you. I saw from your other comments you have some strong feelings about that. What I will say, is I have worked hard to create a relationship with my children where they feel comfortable coming to me with anything. BUT, if there were ever a situation in their life that required them to seek medical care and, for whatever reason, they did not want me to know about it; I prefer they get the care they needed, and I never know, rather than them not seek treatment over fears of my finding out before they were ready to share.

LadyGreyIcedTea t1_j6785ct wrote

Him having privacy rights for certain things doesn't mean he's "old enough to make all medical decisions." If he needs surgery you or his other parent will still need to consent. There are certain things specifically (like sexual health, mental health and substance use treatment) that adolescents are able to access without their parents' knowledge/consent.

Ok_Sorbet9577 t1_j67nkj5 wrote

Yes I understand this. I’m telling you what my office told me and my son. No access to any information in his chart except billing. I can’t have access to labs or anything in his chart except for me to pay his bills. So in this instance my office is telling me my son makes his own medical decisions. That is exactly what I was told so perhaps their receptionist is giving the wrong information. Anyways we switched to a family practice and don’t need to deal with that issue since they don’t do that.

Thisbymaster t1_j621yb6 wrote

No, I still make all appointments and have access to their accounts.

Ok_Sorbet9577 t1_j64hl2b wrote

Do your children go to a pediatrician or a family practice? Only my pediatrician office has this policy. I’m wondering if it’s just pediatrician that are doing this.

Thisbymaster t1_j64hpkg wrote

It is a family practice.

Ok_Sorbet9577 t1_j67ns90 wrote

Yup I thought so. The office we switched to is a family practice and they don’t do that.

LadyGreyIcedTea t1_j677yil wrote

Adolescents have certain privacy rights. All the patient portals I'm familiar with as a pediatric nurse block parents from being able to see their teenagers' medication lists in case they are on something like birth control that they don't want their parents to know if. This happens even in cases where the teenager is severely developmentally disabled and cognitively at the level of an infant.

Lagomorph-dreams OP t1_j68ws1j wrote

Thank you- by reading the law, I’m surprised at the lack of clarity and that no parent advocacy groups have tried to sue or otherwise take legal action to grant access.

I think what I am looking for is the clear verbiage stating why/how all access is limited- some document that is given to parents explaining it.

Lagomorph-dreams OP t1_j68wuni wrote

Thank you- by reading the law, I’m surprised at the lack of clarity and that no parent advocacy groups have tried to sue or otherwise take legal action to grant access.

I think what I am looking for is the clear verbiage stating why/how all access is limited- some document that is given to parents explaining it.

Skincare_Addict_ t1_j6ida5r wrote

It’s basically so that adolescents can get birth control without crazy religious parents interfering. There are other reasons but that’s the primary situation that this helps.

debinthecove t1_j61stw9 wrote

I think it was 14 for us. A big pain. See if you can request proxy access to their account. Our pediatrician didn't provide proxy access (or maybe we couldn't get it to work) but MGH gave me proxy access.

−1

Ok_Sorbet9577 t1_j61u8e8 wrote

I heard about this happening at my pediatrician office. We have been patients there for 27 years and this is a new “policy” not law as I was told by the receptionist. I called my own family dr office and they don’t do that there. You have access to your children till they are 18. There is no law stating children at 13 make their own medical decisions or parents have no access to their children’s health records at 13. My pediatrician office does it because they are part of a bigger hospital that has this policy.

−3

Lagomorph-dreams OP t1_j626oqm wrote

That’s interesting. I asked about it it a HIPAA sub as well and someone linked me to a law in MA. https://www.mass.gov/info-details/guide-on-the-disclosure-of-confidential-information-health-care-information

In reading the law, it seems like minors must give consent for care providers to release information relating to substance use disorders, sexually transmitted diseases, and a few other special conditions. Because diagnoses related to these conditions are kept within the general patient chart, I imagine this is why some providers are enacting policies limiting what parents can see without their teen’s consent?

Ok_Sorbet9577 t1_j6443fs wrote

My pediatrician office once my child turns 13 won’t allow my husband or I access to anything in his chart as of 13, even with his permission. He must have a separate email account and I’m only allowed to see billing information. I’m sorry I don’t feel my 13 year old should be 100% in charge of his health care. I never saw that law in Ma as I looked at a more federal level for laws. It’s amazing to me how many rights parents are losing to their kids more and more. As for people saying I have no right to my under age child’s medical records…f@&k you.. I’m responsible for my child legally and financially. If they have a substance abuse problem who will be paying and taking care of them…me…if they end up as a teen parent at 14 who is responsible for them…me….so yeah I have a right to know what my kids are up to. I will be checking that link you gave me thanks!

Lagomorph-dreams OP t1_j64dye8 wrote

Please do check it! I know what State HIPAA laws overrides Federal HIPAA law. So the MA law is what will be followed, even though it doesn’t seem entirely clear! Full disclosure: I’m not a parent. I work in healthcare and I’m trying to get a handle on policies around youth and their records. For what it’s worth, I agree with you!