Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

movdqa t1_j4ayzzr wrote

That's 12 1/2 hours out of your life each week or about 625 hours (or 26 days) a year. That's a decent chunk of time that you could be using for other things that you may enjoy more.

We all have to do what we have to do but sometimes it feels like it's time to leave the rat race.

My longest commute was an hour but I was a contractor back then and I knew that it would only be for a couple of months. My job from the mid-1980s to 2020 had a commute of 20 minutes or less. That still adds up to a lot of time but it was a relaxing drive as there was no traffic to deal with.

mari815 t1_j4bbusn wrote

Luckily I can work remote so I mainly do that - because you’re right, 2.5-3 hours in traffic a day is not a good way to spend time 5x per week. So I go into the office once or twice a week

movdqa t1_j4bdeqe wrote

My son has the same issue. He goes in once every 2-3 months. I think that their normal requirement is once a month but the pandemic changed that. He had to work in the office daily when he started out but could work remotely after two years.