Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DMSC23 t1_ja3wui3 wrote

soap maker here. that isn't "natural" soap in the sense of cold or hot process (how natural soaps are traditionally made). this often happens with sydnet bars (which can be made from natural surfactants, but it's not the same as soap) or soap that has been milled and then run through an extruder, which causes glycerin loss, so the soap isn't bound together very well and it splits as it gets wet and dries out repeatedly

Sacred_Stardust OP t1_ja42y5l wrote

I wish I could pin this omg, thank you for the helpful and thought out response, i love watching soap making videos on youtube its a cool ass profession

DMSC23 t1_ja45r4x wrote

thanks. yeah, the soap in your pic def looks like it was run through an extruder/plodder, which by no means is necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, it's just a very commercialized process

TH3GINJANINJA t1_ja4wim7 wrote

wanting more natural soap, but i’m worried most places just buy commercial and label it as all natural. got any good brands you know are all natural?

DMSC23 t1_ja51eib wrote

well, I'd tell you my brand, but I don't want to dox myself lol. you'll find a ton of handmade soaps on etsy, but it is hard to know if their products are any good until you try them. unfortunately, a lot of the newer "soapers" are more interested in creating soaps that are more about "design" than actual quality, and they get their recipes from YouTubers, and those recipes tend to be high in coconut oil, which causes soap to be very drying to your skin.

some tips for finding a decent formula:

look for bars that have at least 2 or 3 butters (cocoa, shea, kokum, or cupuacu for example). if coconut oil is the first ingredient, it's probably a pretty drying soap. you want to see a combination of moisturizing oils/butters like castor, sunflower, safflower, hemp, olive, palm, etc.

you also want to avoid soaps with sorbitol or propylene glycol because they're not really handmade soaps, they're really made from a purchased base of what's referred to as "melt and pour" that people then add color and scent to, and while it can make a very pretty soap bar, it's not really what I would consider a quality soap

Sacred_Stardust OP t1_ja51rog wrote

Omg you could have a whole calls on this your advice is so useful thank you