Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

harlojones t1_j6klnzu wrote

Am I the only one who strategically grabs every handle by the point I think is least touched? Yeah maybe I’m weird.. and also I imagine it’s not even effective, but I like to try.

LopsidedPotential711 t1_j6kn0tz wrote

Yup. Pinky finger at the very end and perpendicular facet of the cylinder. Or, I just grab the top of the door closer; it's a little dusty. Or if the door droops, the top edge has a sharp lip that drops downward. Even a short nail can pull the door. And finally....

These gents go home to their wife and kids...nah. Don't touch surfaces...and teach your kids.

(Yesterday, someone spilled sugar candy on the stairs of a friend's building. Elevator is out, so everyone uses the stairs. Some visiting kids saw me [cleaning] it, and I spent ten minutes explaining why someone did it, did not clean it, and why I did. Fuck, if kids don't ask millions of questions. Pass on good habits.)

Redacteur2 t1_j6kp3ij wrote

I guess I could post the bathroom door at my work which has the standard metal plate to push it open but the paint on the door just above the plate is worn down to the wood from everyone avoiding touching the intended push spot.
And I agree, the very idea of fully grabbing the whole handle, palm included is mildly gross to me.

harlojones t1_j6krr9w wrote

That’s my other thought “how many people have avoided the main touch point and touched the same less touched point as me” 😂.

DrAnvil t1_j6m8oe2 wrote

if I recall correctly, even if it were less used it still wouldn't be as good, since the metal is more germophobic than painted wood

eclecticsed t1_j6kqqas wrote

Nah I do it too, or I use the end of my sleeve. I did that before the pandemic though. It was a habit I picked up after working in an office where the warehouse was also our break room, and the location of the bathrooms, which did not hide sound. Not a single person besides me washed their hands in all the time I worked there.

nutsotic t1_j6kx9jj wrote

Lol I use elbow on handles like these

Super_Sand_Lesbian_2 t1_j6lemqa wrote

I remember seeing a foot handle in one of the public washrooms in Torontos distillery district and remember it being ingenious and amazed it’s the only place I ever recall seeing one.

Sure some doors might be too heavy, but usually not the case.

RunsWithBeef t1_j6lxazl wrote

Seriously, who are all these people full-palming public door handles? Gross.

NoXion604 t1_j6mmvkd wrote

Might as well pull down your sleeve and then grab the handle through that.

Cumupin420 t1_j6naukm wrote

Yeah and every time I think hopefully the other people who do this are clean