Submitted by Hardy289 t3_yg9win in movies

Greetings, movie buffs.

I know this is a bizarre question, but I need this information because I believe it can help me in a school project I am working on.

I am looking for movies that were based on novels. And the movie was subject to legal controversies not because of copyright issues but because of content of movie.

Any tip would be greatly appreciated.

Bonus points if the thing that caused controversy was not in novel but was only added in the movie.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Morbo_Funky_Town t1_iu7p0xv wrote

"A Clockwork Orange". The film was not allowed to be shown in the UK for quite some time after release due to content issues.

andycoret t1_iu7n6a3 wrote

The first one that came into my mind is Flowers in the attic

bacardiwynn t1_iu7ng5w wrote

How about Stephen King and It? Or his issues with The Shining?

Main_Tip112 t1_iu7pp3f wrote

It's bad enough he wrote a sewer child orgy scene in It.. thank God they had to sense to not try to film it. I like some of his works but Stephen, what the fuck were you thinking?

Badwolf_131 t1_iu7otj7 wrote

I thought his issues with The Shinning was that Kubrick started to depart from the source material. Am I remembering it wrong or missing information?

tregorman t1_iuaoaxq wrote

Kubrick kind of completely missed the point of Kings story and wrote his own shit instead with the shining as like the base outline. The point of the book was seeing the decline of Jack's mental state, and hiring jack Nicholson kind of went against that because he seemed kinda nuts to begin with.

I believe he also didn't like the way the stripped Wendy of most of her humanity and charecterizarion to make her the scared frail screaming lady

Kubrick version is a classic in it's own right but it's entirely understandable why King would be upset with it.

Badwolf_131 t1_iuawaqa wrote

Ok. I can see why he didn’t like it. Especially since it was a departure of his baby. Thank you.

tinoynk t1_iu7nzcz wrote

Sergio Leone got sued by Kurosawa for plagiarizing Yojimbo, but even that was based on a Dashiel Hammet novel.

girafa t1_iu7p3uk wrote

John Carpenter successfully sued the producers of Lockout for ripping off the premise of Escape from New York.

> Carpenter, speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, said one of the rights holders to his 1981 film "wanted to also go after the video game Metal Gear Solid, which is kind of a rip-off of Escape From New York, too," Carpenter said.

> No such legal action was taken. Why? "I know the director of those games, and he's a nice guy," Carpenter told THR. "Or at least he's nice to me."

Many-Outside-7594 t1_iu8si19 wrote

I didn't know this!

It was pretty blatant that they stole the Escape from Earth concept and only slightly retooled it.

Although I did still enjoy the movie.

Where were you on the night of September 27th?

>!It was coupon night and I was trampolining your wife.!<

ryschwith t1_iu7q1s7 wrote

I think Death In Venice generated some controversy recently.

ToFitSomewhere t1_iu8929b wrote

The Golden Compass was extremely controversial in 2007, but I don't know if it fell into legal battles.

Parking_Mall_1384 t1_iu8o98d wrote

Do banned movies count in this scenario? If so there are lists online that you can check out.

Off the top of my head: cannibal Holocaust (director had to prove the cast was alive in court, after authorities thought the movie was real).

The Guinea pig series- fbi was called to investigate after Charlie sheen reported it as a snuff film.

I think irreversible had some censorship issues… not sure about legal.