Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ionlypostwhenstoned0 t1_j2eijuf wrote

I don’t even like Avatar but I have to ask…what do you expect them to achieve beyond what they’re made for…entertainment.

Cameron is a legend because of his previous films AND because he’s a high grosser. Bay has never achieved anything on the same level.

HumbleCamel9022 OP t1_j2ejzgr wrote

>I don’t even like Avatar but I have to ask…what do you expect them to achieve beyond what they’re made for…entertainment

So just like Michael bay's transformers which redditors like to bash

I have no problem with a filmmaker who set out to Gross as much as possible at Box-office but only problem with it is when people think that director is among the greatest of all time because of it

−5

Ionlypostwhenstoned0 t1_j2emeqt wrote

Well if you’re comparing Transformers to Avatar I’m not going to really argue, I don’t like either. Although with Transformers it’s because it has no discernible story and was a mess, Avatar had a pedestrian story but was very pretty.

But JC gets bashed on here for Avatar, or at least the movie does. JC isn’t a legend because of Avatar though, it’s for Aliens and Terminator 1 and 2 and basically influencing a generation of film makers with movies that were visually and narratively fantastic. Bay hadn’t done that.