Submitted by Jordie1010 t3_10q239g in movies

I don’t know how I’ve lived this long and can still say i haven’t.

I’m talking a dream that you see through the eyes of the dreamer filled with the controlled chaos of a mess of brain junk that cloaks a real life connection. I’m talking overly simplistic scenes and backgrounds because your sleep brain def doesn’t recreate every detail of a room. And a bit of a voice inside the head of the dream as they interpret the imagery and sometimes re interpret all over again. I can understand the difficulty of creating and also watching such a mess. But cmon, it would be cool to see a director nail it

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Wazula23 t1_j6nczb6 wrote

David Lynch nails it for me.

-WASM t1_j6ne0zs wrote

Same, Lynch is the master of dream-like film storytelling. Fire Walk With Me, Lost Highway, Mullholland Drive and Inland Empire are all very dreamlike.

OP, if you haven’t watched any of these or if you haven’t seen Twin Peaks The Return you should put them all on your list.

The other film is a Czechoslovakian film from 1966 called Diasies. I watched this as part of a film theory class. It’s by Vera Chytilova.some really cool and weird stuff going on in it.

I’m also interested in comics that are dreamlike and if anyone has any recommendation please let me know.

schleppylundo t1_j6ph1w4 wrote

Since you only mentioned Fire Walk With Me and Twin Peaks The Return:

You need to watch the original two seasons of Twin Peaks before you get to either of those. Release order is the definitive order and necessary for narrative and thematic context.

Mud_Landry t1_j6nffnm wrote

The Sopranos dream sequences are perfect. Chase nailed the disconnected feeling and how everything is off a bit.

blacktothebird t1_j6nffhi wrote

that's not fair. As you are using your awake brain to recontextualize the dream.

Your sleeping mind in the moment believes all it see as real no matter how crazy. Its only once we are a wake do we see that it was a dream

Minifig81 t1_j6nd2bv wrote

Michel Gondry has a surrealist film The Science of Sleep, from what I recall that meets your criteria.

Illustrious_Cup_302 t1_j6nj6db wrote

There are elements near the end of "Eternal Sunshine..." as well that always struck me as particularly dreamlike - the shifting scenery etc... as Joel tries to find Clem.

2DEE831 t1_j6o49fa wrote

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind also has some dreamlike sequences

BoardGameBologna t1_j6oc1vo wrote

Such an overlooked movie! Gabriel Garcia Bernal is sooooooo adorable in it, too!

WildBlueAlex t1_j6nfgef wrote

Waking Life did some good parts of this

chadisdangerous t1_j6nkf1y wrote

I don't know if it counts because it's not technically a dream but I want to shout out I'm Thinking of Ending Things. That movie feels like you're in someone's head, like you're watching someone's subconscious in free time. Characters talk over the ends of each other's sentences, the dialogue and performances are stylized in an inconsistent way (as if someone keeps changing their mind about how these people talk), character names and layouts of rooms change randomly, shots linger longer than they need to or cut abruptly in an uncomfortable way, even the sound design feels unnatural.

Everyone knows Kaufman is an accomplished writer but he really impressed me with his directing choices in this movie.

kleptophobiac t1_j6nlj0v wrote

At a certain point, the film Mother! becomes the best depiction of a bad dream ever.

meowskywalker t1_j6nhz4r wrote

Inception, but backwards. The parts where we’re expressly told “the characters are dreaming” aren’t very dreamlike, but whenever they supposed to be “awake” terrifying dream bullshit follows them. When the alley gets so narrow he has to squeeze his way out? I’ve had that nightmare.

DaikaijuSokogeki01 t1_j6nf93r wrote

Skinamarink is extremely recent, but it does capture that childhood nightmare feeling.

Avid_Vacuous t1_j6nimln wrote

I remember the dream sequence in Exorcist 3 feeling like an actual dream in how everyone behaves weird but at the time you don't think it's weird until after you wake up.

_jollyearlyjazz_ t1_j6nqnfy wrote

There is a Joel Haver video that does an awesome representation of a dream

Prestigious_Ratio_37 t1_j6no2uf wrote

Meshes of the Afternoon All of David Lynch’s work All of Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s work Some of Tarkovsky’s work (like Mirror)

zenejinzorin t1_j6nnjaj wrote

To throw a less often mentioned film into the mix, Stay, with Ryan gosling and ewan McGregor. Very subtle hints like disproportion of food servings, random seemless transition, locations that don't really make sense. Love this movie.

AgentUpright t1_j6nxgd6 wrote

Groundhog Day

I frequently have a dream that I shut my alarm off, get up, go about my day, only to wake up but still be actually dreaming, and then have it happen again. When I finally wake up for real, it’s always before my alarm. The only thing missing is Sonny and Cher.

MisterEdOfCourse t1_j6o5d94 wrote

Some scenes in Nightmare on Elm Street were close I think. Opening a door in the factory, just to fall out and land in the front yard. Things like that.