Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ThrowThrow117 t1_j6n8j6p wrote

The scene where he's at the bar and he tries to order a non-alcoholic drink. But the bartender, innocently, asks if "that's all he wants." And how that's all the invitation for an alcoholic to need.

The scene that REALLY got me was the scene toward the end in the hotel with the mini bar. He marvels at all the bottles but closes the fridge door. Only to pop right back in just a few seconds and go on a bender.

Those scenes were uncomfortably familiar for me. Drinking has only become a "problem" for me since Covid. But man, shit has spun out of control fast. I had been drinking responsibly for 18+ years before that. And in a matter of months it became an issue.

I'm not sober. But I'm getting everyone I know familiar with my problem. So they know they can't push me to "have one more" or stay later. And I just found out one of my best friends, who has been kinda MIA the last year, just went full sober. He's going to weekly meetings. He was my favorite drinking partner. I couldn't be prouder of him. It feels like the world is showing me the way out.

jshiplett t1_j6nddec wrote

There’s a scene from the West Wing where Leo (John Spencer) talks to Josh (Bradley Whitford) after Josh’s trauma therapy session. Josh tries to make light of the whole thing, but Leo comes back at him with this:

"This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out.

A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, 'Hey you. Can you help me out?' The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on.

Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, 'Father, I'm down in this hole can you help me out?' The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on.

Then a friend walks by, 'Hey, Joe, it's me can you help me out?' And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, 'Are you stupid? Now we're both down here.' The friend says, 'Yeah, but I've been down here before, and I know the way out.'"

Don’t be afraid to ask your friend for help. He’s been in the hole before, and he knows the way out.

Take care. I’m rooting for you.

smenti t1_j6nql8w wrote

Small steps man. You got this.