Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Gerti27 t1_j6dtf4d wrote

I hate critics like this. Everything has to be picked apart. At one point, he seems to take issue with a rainbow shown at the beginning of the film. The author believes this to be an intentional joke because the movie is so dark in theme. This is clearly a horrible offense because it is cliche.

He also makes the point that a lot of McDonagh’s movies use stereotypes. Maybe he’s right on this, I’m no expert on Irish stereotypes, but this just means that he’s no different than every writer in human history. There is not one book or movie that doesn’t use stereotypes or tropes in some way or another.

I don’t mind people looking at works of art deeper to try and convey more meaning to them, but I hate critics that have to give meaning to every possible little thing. It reminds me of self important art critics that will write books about how a red circle on a canvas represents the struggle of the common man. It’s just BS.

pollyfossil t1_j6f3itd wrote

Far from trying "to give meaning to every possible little thing" I think his main complaint is that the film ultimately means very little. I found it completely tedious. I'm Irish so I should be thrilled that it's nominated for so many awards, but I'm not excited at all because I don't think it deserves the acclaim it's received.