Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

plemur t1_j98o2lf wrote

The deathly silence after a heavy snow interrupted by a soft crash of clumps falling from an overburdened branch and that tiny woosh it makes as it vaults back into place, then that prolonged series of soft, overlapping thumps as one after another follow suit. That's my favorite New Hampshire sound.

HyzerChump t1_j9h2hxl wrote

I was gonna say loons calling across a body of water on a silent evening. But this is on another level

WyattfuckinEarp t1_j9amyuv wrote

Yeah, it's hard to describe the clump hitting the ground noise. Especially on fresh snow, it's a somewhat crunch and dull this all at once

dcofm OP t1_j9ddhjk wrote

Love this description. Thank you!

fncw t1_j98iz6q wrote

capybarramundi t1_j99r5q8 wrote

I have very fond memories of loons echoing across Lake Winnipesaukee on warm summer nights.

plemur t1_j9c8zn3 wrote

You know it's going to be a nice night!

i_miss_buddy t1_j9daasw wrote

I thought this would be the first answer. That’s what I thought!

eeveerose63 t1_j98lfoc wrote

Ice cracking on a pond as it contracts. Sounds like whale song.

thread100 t1_j98nlb5 wrote

I recently learned that water is unusual that it expands when it freezes and then shrinks like other solids as it gets colder. Hence the cracking that confused the hell out of me as a youngster. I’m fun at parties.

SheeEttin t1_j9a7nrb wrote

Water is extremely unusual in a number of ways! Due to the actual shape of a water molecule, it's also unusually polar, allowing it to dissolve just about everything we need to live. And it has one of the strongest surface tensions of common liquids.

And unlike most other substances, the frozen form is less dense than the liquid (as you noted), meaning ice floats! I don't know a single other substance that behaves that way.

Spoonblade t1_j9a9dfk wrote

And if this were not the case and ice sank then our lakes would eventually freeze solid. Pretty handy that it floats.

Clock-Full t1_j98te1b wrote

The sound of every other state leaving us the hell alone.

Conebones t1_j99u3he wrote

Legalize the ganja and we will, we don't wanna worry about going to Vermont or Maine from Massachusetts.

golfgrandslam t1_j9ak0rw wrote

No you won't

Conebones t1_j9atq31 wrote

I won't what? Worry?

golfgrandslam t1_j9btn28 wrote

You people won't leave us alone if we legalize weed.

−2

Conebones t1_j9c1lfg wrote

Lol get real. I love your state but I would love it more if they got with the times and moved on.

shuaaaa t1_j9gqgru wrote

But, it’s legal in Mass, I don’t think I understand?

veggie_hike t1_j99344g wrote

Fisher cats waking me up by screaming in the middle of the night. Horrible.

Dollhousefurniture t1_j9aptb6 wrote

The first time I heard one was at 5am once and I was going to call 911. My fiancé had to explain it wasn’t a person.

Emeleigh_Rose t1_j98u583 wrote

I lke the haunting sounds of the Loons on Lake Winnpesaukee.

Viking603 t1_j9anlsc wrote

Loons on a foggy morning as you enjoy your coffee while sitting on the back porch overlooking the Connecticut river.

NHGuy t1_j9a5rxy wrote

"Comin' up, I'll tell ya the story"

gen_accident t1_j9bfr63 wrote

Whenever he hears the theme tune, my little lad yells, “It’s Fritz!”

NHGuy t1_j9bg1hf wrote

my ex-wife hates the sound of his voice, so I occasionally record one and send it to her lol - "Just thinking of you"

StWilVment t1_j9bnebe wrote

For real though, I could be in my kitchen and hear the intro song from my tv and get homesick. I love his stupid stories.

dcofm OP t1_j9dduwm wrote

I'm missing the reference here -- what's this from?

NHGuy t1_j9de8ky wrote

NH Chronicle - Fritz Weatherbee's opening teaser about what story he's going to tell tonight concludes with that

dcofm OP t1_j9f5abn wrote

Oh this is so great, thanks for turning me on to this!

Zestyclose-Equal2105 t1_j98ykwt wrote

Mourning Doves in the early morning, bonus points if there’s Peepers too.

BytorPaddler t1_j9cisez wrote

Mockingbirds in early spring too. They've already started calling.

snowman603 t1_j99z6us wrote

A vernal pool full of peepers in the Spring.

Mandy220 t1_j98xkdk wrote

High pressah!

Jeepn87 t1_j9923s7 wrote

Fisher Cats

shortieXV t1_j9985xk wrote

When a pond is just barely frozen and you toss a rock on thin ice to hear it ping and echo across the water.

Bomdiggitydoo t1_j9a6pcp wrote

The sound of a piece of shit 20 year old pickup truck with a trump won sticker and a let’s go Brandon flag riding up your ass on 93 even though you’re doing 85

throwawayada79 t1_j9fh5zd wrote

It's only 19yrs old & I don't have a Trumptard sticker! My bad because of my 5in lift I can't tell my proper speed. But yeah it's a Ford so it's a POS. /s

NHSunlover t1_j9kembb wrote

I can send you one along with an FJB sticker so we can have twin trucks.

Crow_Titanium t1_j9j55dm wrote

Those shitheads are usually doing ten under the limit in front of me. Gotta impede progress, any way you can.

NHSunlover t1_j9kedz4 wrote

As you travel in your Tesla not pulling over because you are doing 80 and that's plenty for anyone.

glockster19m t1_j992n0c wrote

Iconic is definitely the loon calls, as far as interesting and weird I'd say shrieking wild cats, literally sounds like a human screaming for help

teeeray t1_j98icda wrote

Whatever the fox says

itsMalarky t1_j98pfhc wrote

Whales singing at night off the coast of star island.

Puzzleheaded-Row-511 t1_j9aeubv wrote

I live pretty much in the woods and I hear some pretty interesting sounds at night. It sounds like a coyote orgy going on up there. It's scary sounding, I can tell you that! LoL

RickyDaytonaJr t1_j993j8v wrote

The combination of huffing, puffing, coughing and wheezing from out-of-shape campers carrying their beach gear up the Lonesome Lake Trail on a sunny summer day.

reddittheguy t1_j9akmvp wrote

I hate it but you said interesting...

Being in the mountains in mid June, miles from a road and hearing the distant, semi leaf muffled sound of a thousand assholes on very loud motorcycles.

Doug_Shoe t1_j99vdsx wrote

there are singing brooks in the White Mts

dcofm OP t1_j9de7wl wrote

I've not heard of these, do you know the names of any of them?

overdoing_it t1_j9a51dn wrote

Cardinal singing in the morning. I hear it every day in NH except during winter when they don't really sing. Although once I slammed a door at night and a cardinal must have woken up and belted out a few tunes in surprise, maybe he was dreaming about singing.

nobletrout0 t1_j9aikjw wrote

The scraping of skis against the ice at 3:45pm at your favorite mountain on Presidents’ Day weekend.

ThinWelcome5879 t1_j9ccclx wrote

That was precisely my family and me at Crotched Mountain on Saturday. Like scraping sand off of concrete.

dardios t1_j9a84wt wrote

The sound of anyone with deep family roots talking in Seabrook.

GraniteGeekNH t1_j9aeijn wrote

Snow sliding off my metal roof - sounds like a train overhead. Startling the first time you hear it.

AirshipThyme t1_j9af5n4 wrote

Fisher cats. Born and raised woodsy NH and that sounds still scares the shit outta me everytime

TheNextFreud t1_j9anu7p wrote

The yelp of joy someone lets out when they get a perfect parking spot in Portsmouth

Visible-Education-98 t1_j99xzh0 wrote

The sound of a muffler on a car heading south on 93 with Mass plates on it?

thrunabulax t1_j9adsou wrote

a moose walking thru the forest coming your way!

chomerics t1_j9aed6a wrote

Loons, one of the most peaceful sounds that exist.

HazardousWeather t1_j9cjea5 wrote

Lived in CA for a few years. What I missed was the sound of what I call the NH laugh, the from the heart, hearty laughter heard in public places like restaurants, town meetings before they begin, any places where people line up. It was that auditory sense of uninhibited self that I missed the most

Impriel t1_j9995x8 wrote

My elderly neighbor who grows hay shouting "@-&$#! G** D** channel 7!" Every time it rains by surprise

lives4summits t1_j9adupr wrote

The sound of a dirtbag in camo clutching his guns yelling “try to come and take it from me”

AnythingToAvoidWork t1_j9ax65u wrote

Not exclusively NH obviously, but I llove listening to Barred Owl hoots.

fistofthefuture t1_j99gu6w wrote

Ththpthpthpptthppthpthppppthpthppppppthpthppp

Rag_tag_slum_88 t1_j99gw6h wrote

I'm pretty sure I just heard skunks either mating or fighting and I've had 5 sights in the past weeks, so I'll say that.

Qbncgr t1_j9ajhmc wrote

The Peepers chirping all night in the spring, followed by the Whiporwill singing in the morning.

SAS379 t1_j9aucji wrote

Yellow stitches

HerrDictator t1_j9b3ibz wrote

9 p.m. fireworks from July 4th to July 3rd.

kanid99 t1_j9c9gfh wrote

Fishercats. Scary stuff if you don't know what it is.

maat922 t1_j9cm5tw wrote

Well since this is where I learned (the hard way) that bigfoot are actually REAL, that's the most interesting sound I've heard so far since moving here in 2013.

throwawayada79 t1_j9fhxlm wrote

Not really a NH sound per sei. But riding up a ski lift @ 9am @ 32°. Coffee in 1 hand, sounds from the chair lift & silence riding up is blissful to me.

hitmannumber862 t1_j9gcdka wrote

Machine gun fire in the hills, or fisher calls at night.

rmarkham t1_j9gqteu wrote

Peepers on the first rainy night of spring.

-cochise t1_j98ysrh wrote

Tcht-sssss *glug*

heeyyyyooo t1_j99wji4 wrote

The Karen at the local store asking to speak to the manager

BumCubble42069 t1_j996zld wrote

Someone yelling “GET ME A BEER”

−3

PNWMunky t1_j98j9yg wrote

Bitching

−39

PNWMunky t1_j98kkkj wrote

It’s not trolling. Gaslighter